Help needed to learn dodging & burning

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 4, 2006 in Finishing School

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    New layer is that little icon next to the trash. Or you can just type ctl-j. That layer is locked because it's the background. If you want to make it a regular layer, just double click it, click OK, and you'll be good to go. But always better to make a new layer so's you always have the original down there on the bottom to refer to.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Tip: Creating a New Layer.

Layers are the best thing since sliced bread, and we're creating new ones all the time. But if you're still making a new layer by clicking on the New Layer button in the Layers palette, you've got some learning to do: Just click Control-Shift-N (or Control-Alt-Shift-N, if you don't want to see the New Layer dialog box). If you're trying to duplicate the current layer, just press Control-J (if you have pixels selected when you press this, only those pixels will copy to a new layer).
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    New layer is that little icon next to the trash. Or you can just type ctl-j. That layer is locked because it's the background. If you want to make it a regular layer, just double click it, click OK, and you'll be good to go. But always better to make a new layer so's you always have the original down there on the bottom to refer to.
    Control-J duplicates layer. I thought Gus wanted to make a new layer? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    K - A lot of times I get lost in your lingo - but here goes -

To Create a new layer?

attachment.php?attachmentid=11720&stc=1&d=1143836517

Ctrl+Shift+N = New Layer - Creates an empty new layer above the selected layer.
    Ctrl+J = Duplicate Layer - Copies the image on top of itself

You mentioned Dodging and Burning - You can add an Adjustment Layer if you need to as well. Or maybe you know this, and I don't understand what you mean ...
    Humungus wrote:
    How ... do you 'choose a new layer ?' Is that pic of the small closed lock giving me the grief ?
    What do you mean 'choose a new layer'? The lock is always on the background layer. doesn't have much to do with burning or dodging, or new layers....

Edit:: First Post with attachment Sorry - People beat me to the post...
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    edited March 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Control-J duplicates layer. I thought Gus wanted to make a new layer? headscratch.gif

Ooops. Writing is hard.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 31, 2006
    The best way to Dodge and Burn is the Cletus method.
    Sid.
    edited March 31, 2006
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    The best way to Dodge and Burn is the Cletus method.
    Slick!! - anything to save victums of swashbuckling pirate language.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
    edited March 31, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I have to follow kelbys book word by word.

He states..."..Go to the palette, and from the palettes flyout menu, choose New Layer"

Thats what i have to do...i am not interested in learning shortcuts on the keyboard at this stage.

I believe the flyout menu is the one top right, the circle with the triangle in it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 31, 2006
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Yeah, never have understood what is so great about keyboard shortcuts, hate them. I usually try to translate. Actually, I am pretty sure that I could use a new keyboard, mine has to be hit just right to "work". Plus, it usually takes two hands, where clicking away just takes one. Gotta hold that coffee, right, Gus.

And it is just one more thing to learn!

ginger, who seems to do things the "Humungus Way".
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    palettes

I don't know that word. I do know that thing to click on, but I usually do it the "hard" way by going to "layers" at the top. Then "New". OK, cool!

But is it "new from copy" or which one? I usually choose that one as it has "worked" for me in the past, but I have no clue, too many choices, too many pallettes.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited April 4, 2006
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Its some new silly form of exercise G that everyone but me appears to be doing.

lol3.gif