How to trigger new resizing algorithm without reuploading?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited March 31, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've read about the new-improved downsizing algorithm for smaller versions of our images that makes it less likely to see JPEG artifacts. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to take an existing image and cause new smaller sizes to be generated. I know I could reupload, but I'd rather not do that. Is there some change that can be made to the image that will trigger the remaking of the smaller sizes using the new algorithm?

Here's one I'd like to apply it to (see artifacts at the mountain/sky boundary):
39913971-M.jpg
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I tried "make second copy" in your gallery. Any difference? You could also do an upload-new - and put it here :D

Nope - no difference
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I tried "make second copy" in your gallery. Any difference? You could also do an upload-new - and put it here :D
    That doesn't seem to trigger a recode - it's a 100% identical copy - I compared the large ones byte-wise - not a single byte is different.
    Looks like the copy function just copies the picture. mwink.gif

The replace-function is probably the only way to trigger a the creation of new versions of the photo apart from reuploading it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 31, 2006
    That doesn't seem to trigger a recode - it's a 100% identical copy - I compared the large ones byte-wise - not a single byte is different.
    Looks like the copy function just copies the picture. mwink.gif

The replace-function is probably the only way to trigger a the creation of new versions of the photo apart from reuploading it.

Sebastian

I wasn't sure - so figured I'd try. There are many secrets under the Smug-covers so I just didn't know lol3.gif

John - re-upload is the ticket....
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I wasn't sure - so figured I'd try. There are many secrets under the Smug-covers so I just didn't know lol3.gif
    And it was a good idea - I found myself staring at both pictures in order to notice a difference first. When I compared the filesize it became clearer that there might be no difference at all. :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I found one that works, I think
    Andy wrote:

John - re-upload is the ticket....
    There are a bunch of operations that smugmug can do on an image. I was wondering if one of them would do no harm, but also trigger a re-make of the smaller sizes. The first one I tried was to rotate 90 degrees right, then 90 degrees left. It seems to work. The sky mountain boundaries are noticably better now.

Before on the left (45,384 bytes), After on the right (67,388 bytes).

39913971-M.jpg62370578-M-2.jpg

I suspect that you could use some of the other tools too to apply a tiny crop, apply an unnoticable color effect, etc... Rotation is the easiest one I could think of that should be reversible, but might cause regeneration.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 31, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    There are a bunch of operations that smugmug can do on an image. I was wondering if one of them would do no harm, but also trigger a re-make of the smaller sizes. The first one I tried was to rotate 90 degrees right, then 90 degrees left. It seems to work. The sky mountain boundaries are noticably better now.

Before on the left (45,384 bytes), After on the right (67,388 bytes).

I suspect that you could use some of the other tools too to apply a tiny crop, apply an unnoticable color effect, etc... Rotation is the easiest one I could think of that should be reversible, but might cause regeneration.

thumb.gif cool!
    edited March 31, 2006
    Can do a whole gallery at once too
    Andy wrote:
    thumb.gif cool!
    And, since there's multi-select for rotation, it's easy to do this on a whole gallery.

Folks reading this thread from the beginning are going to get really confused because it now looks like your change fixed the problem too (because your message and my message point to the same, now changed images).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 31, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    And, since there's multi-select for rotation, it's easy to do this on a whole gallery.

Folks reading this thread from the beginning are going to get really confused because it now looks like your change fixed the problem too (because your message and my message point to the same, now changed images).
    Fixed.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    That would be a lossy rotation on the original JPEG, though, wouldn't it? Maybe negligible, but lossy nonetheless?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 31, 2006
    Lossy or lossless rotation at Smugmug?
    DavidTO wrote:
    That would be a lossy rotation on the original JPEG, though, wouldn't it? Maybe negligible, but lossy nonetheless?
    Is it lossy? I was wondering if this was lossless or lossy?

According to what I've read, it is possible to do lossless JPEG rotation if the image dimensions are divisible by 16 which apparently all out-of-camera sizes are. Does Smugmug do lossy or lossless rotation if the image dimensions are divisible by 16?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

According to what I've read, it is possible to do lossless JPEG rotation if the image dimensions are divisible by 16 which apparently all out-of-camera sizes are. Does Smugmug do lossy or lossless rotation if the image dimensions are divisible by 16?

Smugmug does lossless rotation.
    edited March 31, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

We check first, if the image is divisible by 8 on both sides it will rotate losslessly.