Some Basic Questions....

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited April 2, 2006 in Holy Macro
Got a new lens, Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro. :clap I likey :thumb

But... new to the world of this. So - just some simple feedback requests, to keep me aimed in the right directions.

Too little DOF, or are these two cool?
62262047-M.jpg

62261670-M.jpg

Lastly - General feedback. Anyone like this shot? Dislike?
62393919-M.jpg

Take me to school..... Thanks :D
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Expand the DOF
    I like the flowers but their DOF is a little distracting. It would be interesting if you could stack some of them, or shoot them with a higher/smaller apperature.

I like the Cat's DOF. It draws the attention well to the focused areas.
    Edit: (Except the nose... Just noticed that)
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    like the first-

I think the last one is a good pic but I'd rather see a closeup of a bug-- or a doggie-

thanks for sharing-

george
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    I like the second and third shots but the first one could have a bit more DOF and maybe a closer crop.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    It really depends on what look you are going for. I sometimes shoot at f/2.8 for an extremely limited depth of field. It's fun to shoot the same subject with several different f-stops. Pretty soon you will get an idea of what the final pic dof will look like before you take the shot. I generally use at least f/11 if I'm going for alot of dof. Digital makes it easy to mix it up and learn as you go.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Like Thomas said with digital you can play to your hearts content.
    Experiment with different Depth Of Field.....sweet spot on many lenses is around F5.6

Nice shots but need to dig a lil deeper DOF! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Looking Good To Me
    Got a new lens, Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro. clap.gif I likey thumb.gif

But... new to the world of this. So - just some simple feedback requests, to keep me aimed in the right directions.

Too little DOF, or are these two cool?
    Lastly - General feedback. Anyone like this shot? Dislike?
    Take me to school..... Thanks :D

Love those Cats Eyes thumb.gif DOF is something all Macro folks suffer with, and this is why they keep trying to find ways of getting more.
    I took some tips from Brian who suggested shooting at between F11-F16 and using an External Flash with the ISO on the camera set to 100, Camera in MANUAL Mode and shooting at a speed of 200 and vary it from there.
    You will notice the DOF seems greater when using lots of light, it also helps compensate for hand holding.

Your shots with your new lens look great clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    I liked the DOF effect it is diiferent from other flowers i see :):
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Thank you all for the input. I do realize the DOF is techniclly too shallow - though I like the depth it gives some photo's. I will need to rig a flash braket or soemthing to that effect, to get the light where I need it so I can gain some DOF. Macro shooting's HARD! rolleyes1.gif

Again - thank you all for the input. New glass is FUN! clap.gif

Stay tuned - shot a concert last night.....thumb.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg