Night sky

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Holy Macro
The crescent moon looked great tonight so I set up the tripod and snapped a few shots as dusk washed over Rhode Island.

62394183-L.jpg

62394182-L.jpg

I overexposed this to see the Earthshine; I love looking at the crescent moon and seeing the dark portion lit by the light reflecting off the Earth. It seems impossible to get a single photo to look like your eye sees it in real life.

62394180-L.jpg

I've never done much star phtography, but I gave a few constellations a try before I went in to dinner. These may be too dark to see, they look good full size on my monitor...

The Big Dipper

62394179-L.jpg

and my favorite, Orion

62394178-L.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my backyard - :):

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Nice shots i loved the view through tree
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 1, 2006
    neat photos-

just a thought-

a little longer exposure on the stars will give you streaks which might make the constellations stand out more-

george
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Very nice. I think it's impressive that you got the constellations without any star trails! That must be a dark sky! No chance of that here in LA....

You might be able to make a better Earthshine shot by combining two exposures. With one click, yes, it's definitely almost impossible. I guess you could try and use ND filters, but then you would definitely need to have an astronomical tracking motor for the camera.
    Chris