PS Elements Question

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Finishing School
Can you convert a file that's in aRGB, to sRGB, in PS Elements 2.0? If so, the steps please?

(Email from a customer)

:ear

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    The short is No, I don't think so. Read on for details...

For some reason I still have Element 2.0 on my laptop. So I changed the camera to aRGB, took a picture, and opened it up. I can change the active color space by using Edit->Color Settings, but it will not convert the image to the new color space.

So I did a quick Google search and found this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EU8x&tag=

The last message by Wayne Larmon seems to confirm this.

Hope this helps... maybe someone can disprove this.
    Chris
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Excellent link, Chris - thank you.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Workaround
    Andy wrote:
    Can you convert a file that's in aRGB, to sRGB, in PS Elements 2.0? If so, the steps please?

(Email from a customer)

ear.gif

The work-around in Elements 1-3 for converting from aRGB to sRGB is to use a trick with copy/paste. Because copy/paste will automatically convert your color space to match the target color space, if you create a new blank document that's sRGB and then copy paste your aRGB into it, it will get converted.

Here are the instructions from http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/elements-color-management.html:

But there is a way to do it. When we copy and paste between two images that have different profiles, Full Color Management will indeed convert from source to target color space (Limited Color Management and No Color Management merely ignore the source profile). First, we need a blank document in sRGB color space the same size as the image we want to convert. If we don't have one, we can make one by switching temporarily to Limited Color Management, creating the needed file and saving it with the checkbox to embed the sRGB profile checked in the Save dialog. We then need to close the file, switch back to Full Color Management and re-open it. Although the saved version will have been tagged as sRGB, we must still close and re-open it since the original document would be Untagged RGB, having been created under Limited Color Management. As an alternative, if we have any sRGB files lying around, we can use
    Image >> Resize >> Image Size to change it to the needed size. Next, with both our Adobe RGB image and same-sized blank sRGB document open, we can simply hold down the Shift key and drag and drop our image on the blank document to convert it. The blank layer can then be deleted to give us the final file we can save for the web. Problem solved, even it is still a bit convoluted.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question