And another new guy. And a B-17 nose!

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited October 24, 2004 in Holy Macro
Just found this forum, looks like fun.
I've been snapping picture for a long time, digital for a couple years.
Is this a good place to get pointers on shots?
Thanks,
Eric9864226-L.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    Oh, I love that nose art! Great stuff, and a very nice shot. And yes, we're full of advice here. naughty.gif If I were to make a suggestion for the pic, it would be to lighten the fuselage are a hair and deepen the color saturation.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    7418413-M.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    52Caddy wrote:
    Just found this forum, looks like fun.
    I've been snapping picture for a long time, digital for a couple years.
    Is this a good place to get pointers on shots?
    Thanks,
    Eric
    9864226-S.jpg
    I love this shot Eric... and Welcome wave.gif this IS a great place for feedback of all kinds. Several very good experts lurking about..:D
    Lynn
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Another B-17 - you can't have enough of 'em!

831403-M-1.jpg

Not a good pic, but I wondered if any of you can identifiy the plane in front of the B-17?

Hutch
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Not a good pic, but I wondered if any of you can identifiy the plane in front of the B-17?

Hutch
    An experimental plane that big? I'm guessing the Spruce Goose.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    An experimental plane that big? I'm guessing the Spruce Goose.
    That is right. Ask me how I know :D
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited October 20, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    That is right. Ask me how I know :D
    I'll bite! How do you know??? ne_nau.gif:D
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    The X in the tail number tells you that.. Sorry if I stole your thunder. I would have to guess the Spruce Goose also considering the B-17 is a very large aircraft and the one behing it dwarfs the B-17. Also the Spruce Goose was never anything but an experimental aircraft. Kinda like the C5 in this picture dwarfs a blackhawk. Although isnt anywhere near as big as a B-17. I cant think of any other conventional looking aircraft this large from that era that were near this size. If it isnt the Spruce Goose do you have any other hints that make this plane special.
    8647388-L.jpg
    Sorry had to throw this picture in cause I love the size comparison it shows...
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    The X in the tail number tells you that.. Sorry if I stole your thunder. I would have to guess the Spruce Goose also considering the B-17 is a very large aircraft and the one behing it dwarfs the B-17. Also the Spruce Goose was never anything but an experimental aircraft. Kinda like the C5 in this picture dwarfs a blackhawk. Although isnt anywhere near as big as a B-17. I cant think of any other conventional looking aircraft this large from that era that were near this size. If it isnt the Spruce Goose do you have any other hints that make this plane special.http://miketaylor01.smugmug.com/photos/8647388-M.jpg
    Sorry had to throw this picture in cause I love the size comparison it shows...

Gee that thing is big and fat. I saw one come in for a landing here once. They seem to fly sooooo sloooow. They must carry very large heavy things.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'll bite! How do you know??? ne_nau.gif:D
    'cause I googled NX37602 rolleyes1.gif
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited October 20, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    'cause I googled NX37602 rolleyes1.gif
    :roll Yeah, me too! I was gonna wait for someone to congratulate me before letting on, but you beat me to it! :lol
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    What big teath you have
    Here is one more plane photo.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Preying Mantis
    One more
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 20, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Here is one more plane photo.
    Cool!! P-40 Warhawk!! We got your back covered ....
    9657809-L.jpg

We got nose art too ....
    701844-L-1.jpg
    6042323-L.jpg
    701843-L-1.jpg

Zero's complete with a Banzai scarf ( I think it is a Zero) ne_nau.gif
    6085430-L.jpg

And a B-29 "FiFi" in flight 1drink.gif Reportedly the only still flying B-29

6085429-L.jpg

I liked your warhawk picture thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Great shots!
    Here's one of my Warhawk shots.
    6545353-L-1.jpg
  • hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    :roll Yeah, me too! I was gonna wait for someone to congratulate me before letting on, but you beat me to it! :lol
    Correct!

That was not much of a challenge. I have seen the Spruce Goose in Long Beach and in McMinnville, Or., where it now resides. If you get the chance, you gotta go there. Great museum, although I think the Spruce Goose was displayed better in Long Beach.

831422-M-1.jpg

This thing is so big you really can't imagine the size from the pictures. The
    T-6 in the foreground does look small!

This 109 is virtually perfect. It does not look to me like the engine has been started since restoration. I am assuming this is flyable 109 as most aircraft in this collection are flyable.

831414-M-1.jpg

There is another great museum at Tillamook, Or. It is contained in an old blimp hanger that was the largest wooden manmade structure built up to that time. There are some really nice aircraft in that collection also.

831454-M-1.jpg

831451-M-1.jpg

This picture sucks, but this P-47 was fresh out of the restoration shop and was flawless. It is restored down to details on the 50 caliber machine guns. Each ammo bay is filled with 50 cal belts of ammo. If I remember correctly, there were approximately 2000 rounds of ammunition carried by the 47, which is around a thousand pounds of ammo alone. The later versions had a maximum gross weight of 17,500#. This is for a single seat fighter!

831448-M-1.jpg

Hutch
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    Wow, great shots, I'll have to get down to the new Air and Space building at Dullas Airport in Virginia and take some pics of the Shuttle they just recently put on display there.
    These aren't as dramatic as some others here, but what the heck. They were taken while standing at the end of the runway at R.R. National airport in DC.

plane-1.jpg

plane-2.jpg
    Kinda kool of have a plane fly so close overhead. (as long as they don't crash into the bridges over the Potomac, that is!).

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited October 22, 2004
    We're on a roll. Another B17. Planes are amazing. Compared to cars, they always look timeless in their design. Some cars do as well, but some cars from some eras are just plain ugly. Especially cars from the mid 70's to the early 90's. Bad time for cars except for a few of course.

9024045-L.jpg

9024070-L.jpg
    edited October 22, 2004
    While we're at it, can anyone name this plane? It's the only flying example on the planet. For plane buffs, the name on the nose kinda gives it away... For non-plane buffs that is a hint. :)

9019729-L.jpg+
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    It figures that I fly a Sikorskey aircraft in the Blackhawk but dont have a clue what the name of one of his planes is. Give me a helicopter he designed and I could tell you right away.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I don't remember the name, but I know I've seen it before. Here's the twin engine version! At least close:

10310954-L.jpg