Testing Macro Setup

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited April 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hey there folks.

The other day for some unknown reason....... who knows why us women think like we do :rolleyes I figured out how to attach two teleconverters to each other, then added a Canon 100mm Macro Lens and a single Extension Tube.

This image was shot using a Canon 20D with the above setup, plus an external Flash and Diffuser.

This is a picture of a small stem from a plant in my back yard, it is related to the Bottle Brush Plant, and I believe this particular one is called....

Callistemon "Little John"

The bods are from where the flower eventually forms bursting each one till they represent the shape of a bottle brush.

These tiny pods are approximately 4mm in size, and I was surprised at the depth of field considering how much light I would have lost using this set up.

Enjoy.......... Skippy (Australia)

IMG_9803-01E1r_filteredweb.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    That a very interesting looing plant Maxine. I like the lighting you achieved with your diffused flash. The colors really work well as well.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    They looks like ringing bells intresting and loved the magnification
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    I really like this shot, Skip! It looks ready to burst with life.
    Chris
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Thanks Thomas
    tmlphoto wrote:
    That a very interesting looing plant Maxine. I like the lighting you achieved with your diffused flash. The colors really work well as well.

Now all I need is a bug on the plant and I'll be even happier rolleyes1.gif
    I only tried one Extention tube with this, but I should try it with two and see how it goes........thanks for the comment....... Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 1, 2006
    Thank You

Thanks Awais, I really didn't think this set up would work, as I was struggling with trying to get the focus right, and with the amount of light lost I thought it wouldnt work.........Hooorayyyy for RAW clap.gif

Andy Williams I will never forget how much you used to keep telling me to shoot in RAW and I used to say I don't understand this RAW stuff rolleyes1.gif

Skippy (Australia)

edited April 1, 2006
    Hi Chris
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I really like this shot, Skip! It looks ready to burst with life.

Bugs are few and far between at my place unfortunately, I did find a little caterpilla to try this out on, result was not as good as the buds though, but I see if I keep trying this would work very nicely with a decent sized bug.

I saw the bugs when I was looking through that little plant looking for any hope of finding a bug :D thanks for looking...... Skippy (Australia)

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    really nice ...setup worked very well...thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 1, 2006
    Thank You
    Art Scott wrote:
    really nice ...setup worked very well...thumb.gif

I wish I could find a bigger bug to try it out on though rolleyes1.gif
    Skippy (Australia)

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Neat shot Skippy,
    Looks like you were shooting at just above 1.5:1.
    ps think You will find they are last years seed pods. Flowers come from this years buds near the end of the stem (I grow bottle brushes- Callistemons- even have two I grew from seed I picked up in Melbourne and Sydney :) ).
    Brian V.
    edited April 2, 2006
    Hey Brian
    Neat shot Skippy,
    Looks like you were shooting at just above 1.5:1.
    ps think You will find they are last years seed pods. Flowers come from this years buds near the end of the stem (I grow bottle brushes- Callistemons- even have two I grew from seed I picked up in Melbourne and Sydney :) ).
    Brian V.

I just tried to shoot the same shot not using the 2 Teleconverters and I discovered that you can do just as good with the Set of Kenko Tubes and they are sooooooooo much lighter to use :D

I already had the two converters as one works with my Canon 70-200 and the other works with my Canon 400mm so it cost me nothing to do the experiment :D thank you for looking ........ Skippy (Australia)

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Wow put all that stuff together? I'm lucky to get the TC on the lens on the camera w/o a screw up:D

Very nice shot and very interestingthumb.gif`
  • nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    OK, clever work and shot thumb.gif , now aim it at a colourful pistil or stamen Skip, try a Carnation stamen or go for some pollen from a flower.........go on, I dare umph.gifmwink.gif . Could be very interesting Skippy.

All the best over the Tasie.

Danny.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 3, 2006

15524779-Ti.gif

I was trying to think what these seemed like, and then I saw the response from Awais. Good catch Awais and lovely shot Skippy.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there folks.

The other day for some unknown reason....... who knows why us women think like we do rolleyes1.gif I figured out how to attach two teleconverters to each other, then added a Canon 100mm Macro Lens and a single Extension Tube.

This image was shot using a Canon 20D with the above setup, plus an external Flash and Diffuser.

This is a picture of a small stem from a plant in my back yard, it is related to the Bottle Brush Plant, and I believe this particular one is called....

Callistemon "Little John"

The bods are from where the flower eventually forms bursting each one till they represent the shape of a bottle brush.

These tiny pods are approximately 4mm in size, and I was surprised at the depth of field considering how much light I would have lost using this set up.

Enjoy.......... Skippy (Australia)

IMG_9803-01E1r_filteredweb.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how awesome all the pictures are in here. And yours, to have 2 teleconverters and still have a vividly clear shot. I enjoy photograpy, whether they're macro, long distance or regular shots.

I have a Nikon N75 with the sad generic Sigma version lens, (Quantarays). I was wondering... what extension tube size would I need to connect two teleconverters together... whether they're two of either 1.4x, 2x and 3x?

I'm not gonna get any help from the only camera source in my town, (Wolf Camera). They don't always know just anything. Like awhile back, I asked for a 2x teleconverter, and the person that was waiting on me said they don't carry them anymore, and right there they were behind the glass case.umph.gif

So I know if I ask them this question, they're gonna say it's impossible or give me some kind'a line. It's too bad this is the only camera store around me. But anyway, if ya know what size tubes to connect those teleconverters, especially two 2x's and two 3x's... thanks in advance!:):

-ZR-
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG