Trouble Checking Out!

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited October 17, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Oh Bald one, I just bought about 200 pictures and I couldn't figure out an easy way to make them matte instead of glossy. Do I really have to pick 'glossy' for each one individually? I tried the "apply to all images" feature, to no avail. Still not sure what that thing does anyway. Am I missing something. Also, FYI, it took a couple of minutes bofore I got the confirmation screen after pushing the final checkout button. To your credit, when I became impatient and pushed the button again it told me I was locked out. The browser, however, looked like it was locked up (even though it wasn't). It was basically stuck on 4 bars for quite a while. Any way to speed this up?
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2004
    I just tested and Apply # to All works as it should. I set the first image in my cart to 4x6 matte and then chose the #1 option in the drop down, and everything reloaded as a 4x6 matte. The only time this will not work is if the image is too small or if a pro has disabled that product for that image (but all other photos will be changed).

I have some ideas for speeding up checkout that we will be exploring, but it sounds more like you were waiting on credit card authorization and not for the page to redraw the cart?

JT

tmlphoto wrote:
    Oh Bald one, I just bought about 200 pictures and I couldn't figure out an easy way to make them matte instead of glossy. Do I really have to pick 'glossy' for each one individually? I tried the "apply to all images" feature, to no avail. Still not sure what that thing does anyway. Am I missing something. Also, FYI, it took a couple of minutes bofore I got the confirmation screen after pushing the final checkout button. To your credit, when I became impatient and pushed the button again it told me I was locked out. The browser, however, looked like it was locked up (even though it wasn't). It was basically stuck on 4 bars for quite a while. Any way to speed this up?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 16, 2004
    Hmmm... This is interesting. Thanks for letting us know about this.

JT, I notice that it can take awhile to apply #1 (for example) to all when you have 200 images. Maybe we need a please wait message?

I suppose another condition under which it may not work is if JavaScript is turned off? Is it possible that JavaScript was disabled in your browser?

Usually, the order confirmation screen comes up fairly rapidly after you place the order, but we've done battle with this a few times. One is there's a dependency on the credit card processor and the one we use had slowdowns due to an extensive denial of service attack over few-day period.

The other thing is we have some communication with EZ Prints there too that can be slow if their servers are slammed.

We might need a messsage there too saying please wait, we're really working on this.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Hmmm... This is interesting. Thanks for letting us know about this.

JT, I notice that it can take awhile to apply #1 (for example) to all when you have 200 images. Maybe we need a please wait message?

I suppose another condition under which it may not work is if JavaScript is turned off? Is it possible that JavaScript was disabled in your browser?

Usually, the order confirmation screen comes up fairly rapidly after you place the order, but we've done battle with this a few times. One is there's a dependency on the credit card processor and the one we use had slowdowns due to an extensive denial of service attack over few-day period.

The other thing is we have some communication with EZ Prints there too that can be slow if their servers are slammed.

We might need a messsage there too saying please wait, we're really working on this.
    I didn't understand how the "apply # to all" button works. I guess I was ignoring the # sign and reading it as "apply to all". I was picking "matte" on the first image and hitting what I thought was an "apply to all" button. I now understand that I must pick the #1 and then hit the update button. I think this is confusing. Why would you use any image other than the first one to establish the protocol that you want to apply to all? This function is not very intuitive (is anything really?). If I can't figure it out, I know my parents and clients probably won't.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    I thought that way too when I first designed the cart. But what if the first item in the cart is a pro photo that only has pricing for 50" lustre prints of that photo? I sure would love it if someone ordered 300 50" prints from us, but I don't think they would. We added a help button for the cart that takes you to a specific help page to better understand what is going on, but if anyone has a good idea as to how to make the Apply # to All button better, let's hear them. :)

tmlphoto wrote:
    I didn't understand how the "apply # to all" button works. I guess I was ignoring the # sign and reading it as "apply to all". I was picking "matte" on the first image and hitting what I thought was an "apply to all" button. I now understand that I must pick the #1 and then hit the update button. I think this is confusing. Why would you use any image other than the first one to establish the protocol that you want to apply to all? This function is not very intuitive (is anything really?). If I can't figure it out, I know my parents and clients probably won't.
    :D:D