Learning the dances

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 2, 2006 in People
There is more than a month until the opening of Boston Ballet's Russian Dances and the company is starting to learn the dances.

Learning The Dying Swan:

62471709-L.jpg

And other Russian classics:

62441076-L.jpg

62441149-L.jpg

62443998-L.jpg

62449045-L.jpg

62450270-L.jpg

62466117-L.jpg

62466276-L.jpg

62471539-L.jpg

62471420-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Great series Ruttclap.gif. That last one is iloveyou.gif. Sure looks like some interesting lighting your dealing with in these shots.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 1, 2006
    I see window light with flourescent lights overhead. Any tungsten lights also??

I agree with Nick.. Very good use of negative space in the wide angle shots.

Several seem shot from floor level, below the dancer's eye level - could you shoot from a step ladder or a chair, at all??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Nice series! Great place to get "emotion". Looks like a difficult place to shoot lighting-wise, but you did a terrific job. thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 1, 2006
    Your affinity for the ballet has certainly benefited us all by opening it up
    for us to see. Nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    #1,2,4,5 & 6 were shot in a smaller studio with less good natural light, so there is window + florescent. There is also some tungsten lighting visible though an inside window (#1 & 4). I used LAB tricks to try to tone down the riot of different casts in those shots. The rest were shot int the big studio which has great natural window light from skylights and huge windows on one wall. Those shots are easy by comparison; I just used "auto" in the ACR and got pretty good starting flesh tones.

I was experimenting with shooting from a very low angle this time on purpose. I was hoping to get dramatic images, especially of leaps and of course the dying swans. I have experimented before with getting higher and it tends to foreshorten the jumps. I have tried sitting also. A stool might be the next thing I'll try. The main studio also has a balcony that I might try. Unfortunately, the dancers tend to face the away from it.

I'm hoping that I can learn these dances along with the dancers this cycle and be able to plan some shots better than before. I'd really like to match up dress and studio rehearsal moments.
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 2, 2006
    The low angle shots I liked a lot, except maybe 3 and 7. I like the negative space in 3, but wish I had a higher level view for some reason. I

Low level worked very well in the first 2, and I can see how it displays the jumps more effectively.

I really like 2 a lot. I love the movement in the shots also.

Do you get to spend several hours there during rehearsal, or just a limited time? What a great opportunity to watch and record.

This needs to be published in a coffe table book, you know, John!! Even if you have to publish it your self.

Can you use flash at all during rehearsal?? It might help, to darken the backgrounds and seperate the dancers from the studio walls further. Probably not permitted, or at least, welcomed, I imagine.

Thanks for the view backstagethumb.gifthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    The first and the last work really well for me, Rutt. Super stuff. It's fascinating to watch this process evolve. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Great set Rutt. They have this Sunday Ny Times magazine feel to them.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Nice, John, very nice!
    I like #3 the most, very dynamic and expressive!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    Great set Rutt. They have this Sunday Ny Times magazine feel to them.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Thank you very much, everyone.

I agree with Nik, about #3. I also like the last shot a lot. I think shooting in these studios is still an unsolved problem.

I can:
    • Shoot almost as much as I want. I have to give the 24 hours notice, but then I can shoot from 11:30 until 5:30, the entire rehearsal. (The company has traditional ballet class from 9:30 until 11:30.)
    • Move around the edges of the rehearsals.
    I can't:
    • Use a flash
    • Be a nuisance
    • Get between the artistic staff and the dancers
    So I try to pick a place and stay there unless there is an obvious opportunity to move (a break, e.g.) The lighting is really good window light for the most part, but it is what it is and I'm stuck with it. At the dress rehearsals, I'll get a totally different kind of light.

Because I have to be pretty still, I use my zoom lenses a lot. I've tried primes, but they are just too limiting under the circumstances.

Anyway, my big goal this time is to learn the dances better so that I have some idea of what shots to try for at the dress rehearsals.
    If not now, when?