Another 30D sample shot

JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Cameras
Hi all. My wife and I both have the 20D, but no backups.
After careful consideration I felt that the 30D offered enough new goodies to justify the purchase, one for each of us.
This is just a shot of a goldfinch. For some reason, goldfinches are my nemisis. No matter what I do, I just could never get a decent shot.:dunno
You've all seen MUCH better shots than this one, but for ME, this along with a bunch more, turned out pretty good.
I've still a long way to go with my photography skills AND my Photoshop skills, but I'm pretty happy with this one (although I'll work on it more in PS). As I also got more shots, in additon to this one, that are better than I've been getting with the 20D, the question is:
1. Is the 30D's improved autofocus algorithym really noticably better than the 20D?
2. Does my 20D, after 18 months, need service/calibration?
3. Were my better shots just due to dumb luck?
4. All of the above?
Answer: I have no idea. Probably #3. :D
Seriously, I truly believe it's the 30D. It definately achieves focus lock a bit quicker than my 20D.
Lens is the 300f/4L IS+Canon 1.4TC.
Jack

http://www.pbase.com/jacksmyname/image/58026282/original

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Gosh, Jack, just beautiful I bet you are thrilled. My favorite lens too! Got it for Christmas. Great one isn't it.

I so want to sell my 20D with a lens and go get the 30D!!!!!WANNAWANNA!thumb.gif

And wow, even with the teleconverter no less! Just saw that! Awesome.
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Thanks for the nice comments, netgarden.
    Yep, I really like that lens. That shot for me, came out nice, and I've gotten lots more with that combo on the 20D. But as I posted, those goldfinches are a serious challenge for me.
    I also have the 300f/2.8L IS, which I use with either the 1.4 or 2xTC.
    I'll be testing that combo on the 30D tomorrow.
    Here's a shot with the 2.8+Canon 2xTC (sized down to show mercy for those on dial up):
    http://www.pbase.com/jacksmyname/image/57070655/original

Thanks again!
    Jack
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Very nice! Enjoy the new camera :D

wave.gif and welcome thumb.gif
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Thanks Andy!