What do you think?

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited April 3, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I think that these two photos fit the challenge theme but wonder what you think of them. I find them weird but compelling but I have stange taste. My favorite is the closeup. Both were taken in Pere Lachaise Cemetery on March 31 in RAW and without the challenge in mind. Except for slight sharpening at the conversion stage, a small amount of contrast adjustment to both and USM on the second, they are as they came out of the camera. One thing I cannot tell on my laptop screen is how much brown there is. Maybe too much. I guess my real question though is whether anyone likes these shots. And whether they prefer one of them to my current entry.

Anyway, thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks!

Virginia

62602771-L.jpg

62602774-L.jpg

Email

Comments

• JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Crop
    I like the smaller Crop because it has less color. Just 'a spot' or two, while the second one has more color... And I think the Crop draws/bears more detail. (I guess it might not be a crop - but I like the closer one)
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Agree, crop it is...
    Both are lovely. But you should participate with the "closer" one. IMHO.clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 2, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    Both are lovely. But you should participate with the "closer" one. IMHO.clap.gif
    They're both very good, Virginia, but I prefer the second because the closer shot lacks context. FWIW.

Cheers,
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    2.ed shot
    Virginia
    Enjoy Paris. Be aware of the "manifs"...:D
    I like best the second shot.
    rsinmadrid says "I prefer the second because the closer shot lacks context". I do agree and the composition is better.:):
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Both shots are wonderfull for the challenge, it's taken several minutes to find the color in them. clap.gif

But I;ll agree, it's a hard choice which to enter... the first feels like a mug shot of the statue, but the second has that thermo-nuclear sky.... ne_nau.gif Tough choices.

Oh, and in answer to your original question of if either of these would replace this beauty:
    61901531-Th.jpg
    I wouldn't, that shot is one of my favorites in the challenge thread.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Boy.....this is tough!!! I really love these! I think I would go with the 2nd of these 2. However..........I love the entry you already have. It is one of my favorites. These are so SHARP and lovely. But if I think about it for a moment....your original entry says "black and white" to me the most. Does this help??? headscratch.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Thank you all of you! Your comments have really been helpful. I think I'll stick with my original entry. The issue I have with the cemetery photos (which I am liking more and more) is that they are pictures of someone else's art. What is fun about the roses on the stainless tables and chairs on the terrace in the rain is that it will never look the same again - even on a rainy day.

Antonio - Thanks for your comments. Out of prudence, we have stayed away from the areas where the "manifs" are taking place but can report that the US press, at least, has exaggerated the violence and disruption. Another big protest and strike is scheduled for tomorrow. If you are interested, you can read my take on the situation on my blog.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts. Good luck to each of you in the challenge!! While this has been a difficult theme (which, I guess is almost always true), I love the variety and wonderful photos that everyone has been inspired to take.

Virginia

Email