Today's rugby action

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited April 9, 2006 in Sports
I went to shoot are new local rugby league team today it was only a friendly good job, they got hammered. Now we are getting more light in the UK my 300 F4 is starting to rock, we had everything today sun ,rain ,wind

1 62625073-M.jpg

2 62621531-M.jpg

3 62625081-M.jpg

4 62625095-M.jpg

5 62625104-M.jpg

6 62625108-M.jpg

7 62625109-M.jpg

8 62621499-M.jpg

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Great series. I really like #4.

Wish you'd been just a touch down and to the right on the last one...I want to see more of that guy in the corner!

Nice job! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Great series. I really like #4.

Wish you'd been just a touch down and to the right on the last one...I want to see more of that guy in the corner!

Nice job! thumb.gif

Thank's David
    I usualy sit on a stool at the end my team is attacking but because they were getting hammered i was walking up and down the touch line following the action
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's David
    I usualy sit on a stool at the end my team is attacking but because they were getting hammered i was walking up and down the touch line following the action

Sure. I also think they could all benefit from a touch more pop.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 3, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sure. I also think they could all benefit from a touch more pop.

How would i get more pop, a touch of contrast ?
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Great series of shots! You capture some great moments in the action.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
    edited April 3, 2006
    luckydog wrote:
    Great series of shots! You capture some great moments in the action.

Thankyou very much Luckydogthumb.gif
  • jrglassjrglass Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Nice series of pics. I think they "pop" just fine. Your background is under control and the pics appear to be very sharp. You could "pop" the colors with a little saturation in PS but that is not necessary.
    edited April 4, 2006
    jrglass wrote:
    Nice series of pics. I think they "pop" just fine. Your background is under control and the pics appear to be very sharp. You could "pop" the colors with a little saturation in PS but that is not necessary.

Thank's for your positive commentsthumb.gif
  • goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    What settings are you using? Pictures look great.
    Love the pictures. Can you tell me where to stand to get the best action pictures. I just had a Mom ask me to take some pictures of her son's rugby game. I've never been to a rugby game. Is the action the same as football? Do you stand in the 'inzone?' or the sidelines for the best shots. Are you using any fill flash? Settings??? THanks I've only taken pictures for indoor volleyball and basketball and I'm very excited to do some outdoor sporting events for a change!!!! Actual sunlight!!!!
    Greg

gsgary wrote:
    I went to shoot are new local rugby league team today it was only a friendly good job, they got hammered. Now we are getting more light in the UK my 300 F4 is starting to rock, we had everything today sun ,rain ,wind
    edited April 6, 2006
    goodcrna wrote:
    Love the pictures. Can you tell me where to stand to get the best action pictures. I just had a Mom ask me to take some pictures of her son's rugby game. I've never been to a rugby game. Is the action the same as football? Do you stand in the 'inzone?' or the sidelines for the best shots. Are you using any fill flash? Settings??? THanks I've only taken pictures for indoor volleyball and basketball and I'm very excited to do some outdoor sporting events for a change!!!! Actual sunlight!!!!
    Greg

Thanks Greg
    Because my team is a new team and they were playing a higher division team and the other team were doing most of the attacking i followed them up and down the touch line, this is what i would do for your kids rugby, wear some waterproof leggings so you can kneel down when there is some action. I usually shoot AV, partial metering, centre focus , apperture wide open, try to get 1/800 or above alter iso to suit, for some of these when the sun came out i was at iso 100 some iso 400. I don't use flash only have onboard flash. For lenses i use 200mm 2.8 with 1.4x and without when light is bad and also 300mm F4 non IS . With rugby you can crop tight you don't always need all the legs in the action becaus there holding the ball

hope this will help you
    Gary

Here's a few more
    62625106-M.jpg

62621535-M.jpg

62625076-M.jpg
  • robert mccanerobert mccane Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    great actionclap.gif
    edited April 9, 2006
    great actionclap.gif