Request for a recommendation: 28mm non-Canon lens for 5D

MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited April 5, 2006 in Cameras
Primary use is indoor pictures such as Poker table, mom's kitchen, garage of those who restore cars, etc...

I would like a 35mm f1.4L but too much $$$... but read that it is one of the best lenses, if not the best, Canon ever made.

Comments

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    zeiss ,zeiss contax,zeiss jena
    Zeiss manual focus wides are probably the best.Andy has a Zeiss Distagon.

Zeiss-Germany are the priciest but Zeiss-Contax are excellent too,being made under licence by Yashica.

Zeiss Jena are the ones made in the old Zeiss factory in the old East Germany and are the cheapest.

You would need an adapter to fit any of these on Canon DSLR.

Its worth Googling for these- KEH have quite a few Zeiss Contax for sale.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Well...
    I know you specified "non-Canon", but the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM is around $400 (less with the rebate), and is a pretty darn good lens. I have one and it easily gives my 50mm f/1.4 a run for it's money. AF is fast and accurate on my 1D and 20D, USM with fulltime manual focus, good build quality, and it has an f/1.8 aperture. I use mine all the time.

I didn't see any Zeiss Jena 28mm's available at KEH so I'm not sure how much they run. The other Zeiss lenses will not be cheap *and* you loose auto focus and need an adapter.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Picked up a lens
    Thank you for the inputs... I can't resist and bought a slightly used Canon 16-35mm f2.8L

I hope it to be the main lens for the subjects that I am after.:):