Options

challenge 23 : Photocat's entry

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited October 17, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is a shot I took on tuesday on the tidal island of Lindisfarne, in the North East of UK.
The islanders and visitors live by the time and tidetable.
This shot represents the peace of the incoming tide, a moment of peace in time
Feedback is welcome, I am a newbie here (dutch speaking, so forgive me
spelling mistakes)

Comments

• Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    Hey Photocat, that is a cool moody shot. I like the approach the theme. I looked at your gallery for this location and there are some real gems in there.
    I really like this shot:

9850351-M.jpg
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    Im glad you got everything worked out and got this posted. I was curious to see which of the images from your gallery you would choose to use. I like this one alot. Just curious though, did you intentionally try to make the beams holding the little shack up duller than the other beams on the railing? Just curious. Doesnt detract from the shot, just wondering. Great work though.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2004
    Im glad you got everything worked out and got this posted. I was curious to see which of the images from your gallery you would choose to use. I like this one alot. Just curious though, did you intentionally try to make the beams holding the little shack up duller than the other beams on the railing? Just curious. Doesnt detract from the shot, just wondering. Great work though.

No Mike, I did not touch the beams. All I did was add a orange filter to my one I entered for the challenge. (With photoshop).
    The beams holding the shack are in the water in and out with the tides, that must wear them out more... Thanks for commenting thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    Photocat, you have an interesting subject for your entry, and the light is rather cool. The composition needs to be stronger. Are you familiar with the Rule of Thirds? That shack would be a lot stronger further to the left of your frame.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2004
    Redo with rule of thirds
    You are right Sid, it does work better with the rule of thirds.
    I don't know why I did not apply it immediately instead of cropping it in photoshop. My goal is to not really need photoshop anymore. With a little bit of thinking in advance I could have taken the better picture.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2004
    Good suggestion Sid. Its definately strengthened the shot already. Is this a crop and clone photocat??

I think the warming filter looks nice as well.

Marshall
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2004
    This is very nice, much better closer up.
    photocat wrote:
    I don't know why I did not apply it immediately instead of cropping it in photoshop. My goal is to not really need photoshop anymore. With a little bit of thinking in advance I could have taken the better picture.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    Changed my mind
    I don't know if this is allowed, if it is not, I probably will hear it from a kind soul who can set me on the right path.
    I changed my mind for the time challenge, and put another picture in.
    I am slowly coming to grips with this site (there is so much to see, and so much good stuff...)
    Anyway, the following is my definite time challenge entrance
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    I don't know if this is allowed, if it is not, I probably will hear it from a kind soul who can set me on the right path.
    I am slowly coming to grips with this site (there is so much to see, and so much good stuff...)
    I like this one better than the other entry.... have you thought of a name?

I really love what you have done with the colours... I think the bus in red brings your eye directly to the bus, but then big ben also drawns your eye (although is not intrusive)...

Good Luck!

Happy
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    I like this shot more than the other although I would like to see it with perhaps less strongly stated colour or even a full colour original. I admit that I am prejudiced against the method in general so that might tint my opinion in this specific case.

As for changing your mind on shots, the only one that counts is the one in the main challenge thread and you can change that right up to 1159AM EST on Monday.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    I like this shot alot, much more than your original entry. Just a suggestion but you might want to try rotating the image slightly to the left. Maybe it is just me but it seems like everything in the image is leaning to the right, Most noticable in Big Ben and the bus. I think just making sure that Big Ben is perfectly verticle will ground the picture alot better. That seems to be the most imposing piece of the shot and having this verticle woudl improve an already great shot alot. Just my opinion though.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    11doh.gif Ok I really think I am retarded sometimes... right after I posted my reply I look at the pic again and it suddenly looked straight to me. So I checked it in PS and Big Ben is already perfectly verticle so disregard my last post. Im not sure why it appeared to lean right the first time I looked at it but now it definitely doesnt. Weird.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    photocat wrote:

thumb.gif I like it!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    I like the bus shot a lot. As Charles said, you can change you challenge submission every minute of every day until 11:59am EDT on Monday. Here's one thing I think would make the shot stronger, but it can only be achieved when you're shooting, not in Photoshop. I think the shot would be even stronger if Big Ben was unobstructed by the bus. To go even further, iIf Big ben were the strong component on one side the shot, and the bus were on the other side, they might balance each other out. Whaddya think? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    Big Ben
    You are right Sid, I could have made this a better shot. I included the original. My biggest mistake is that I am really a snapper. Meaning snapping away, and not thinking enough. I also have a husband who patiently follows me when I want to take picture 2000 on a trip, but on some other moments, I just have to hurry to follow him.
    That is why I call most of my shots snapshots.
    Anyway, you are right, if I would think ten seconds before pushing the button it would be better already... This shot could have been better.