Please be in Focus.

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited April 3, 2006 in Cameras
I'm still trying to figure out my Canon 350D. I've been pretty good staying out of the basic configurations so that I can broaden my knowledge with manual settings.

I have been shooting with my Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 lately. Yesterday I wanted to take several shots of an Easter egg hunt with the lenses wide open. After reviewing some of the pictures I noticed that it was not has sharp as I hoped for. Since the middle crosshair (not sure what it is called) turned red, I assume that area was going to be focused.

So, I went back and changed it to the basic landscape thinking that all the crosshairs would light up. I was wrong.

Am I missing something? Should I use the button under the shutter release and choose all the crosshairs if I want the entire picture in focus.

Oh...yeah. I believe the aperture was around 10-12 and the shutter speed was whatever complimented the apeture to get a good exposure.

Thank you for your help!
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    RTP,

I have paragraphs of things to say on your question, but before I do or others do, can you please share your ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed of an image that isn't sharp?

Its very possible that you are suffering from camera shake on your images, expecially if you have a slow shutter speed.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Bob hit it on the head -- if you were inside shooting at f/10 or 12, your shutter speed was likely low enough that camera shake is your issue.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 3, 2006
    HeldDown wrote:
    Bob hit it on the head -- if you were inside shooting at f/10 or 12, your shutter speed was likely low enough that camera shake is your issue.

Especialy in Landscape mode, where the camera software will assume he camera is on a tripod, as Landscape mode favors small apertures and long shutter speeds.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Shutter: 1\200
    ISO: 100
    Aperture: 8
    AF: AI Focus
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    AF: AI Focus
    Bingo.

AI wanders around looking for something to focus on. Set it back and try again.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Bingo.

AI wanders around looking for something to focus on. Set it back and try again.

One Shot? I will try that. Thank you!

So much to learn...
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    One Shot? I will try that. Thank you!

So much to learn...

yep, AI got me at first too, I wasnt used to it, (didnt even know the camera did that). I prefer the older method of locking focus with a half-press and recomposing. I choose a custom function that allows me to change the focus pt, but I still go back to old habits.