Scott Kelby Channels Book?

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited April 7, 2006 in Finishing School
whoops. I opened the book and didn't notice how fast a read it is. probably not worth summarizing it.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Should we start a Channels Book thread? 14 votes

Yes
71% 10 votes
No
28% 4 votes

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Did it tell you anything particularly useful? New? Of course what is new to one might not be new to another.

I suppose I would be looking for a way to do channels in RGB rather than LAB which I do not have a very good grasp on.

My problem is that book is not cheap, I own just about every other CS2 book out, and we just paid 240.00 to the vet for a dog's illness, yesterday. And before yesterday I couldn't afford the book. But I would like an idea of why the heck it came out. And without much fanfare, too, plus it was not on time...............

ginger (Did I mention that a novel I wanted to buy comes out today?)

(Since I own all these CS2 books, I would expect a new version of photoshop, completely revised, to be out momentarily. Not only would that cost money..............but then the books........)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 4, 2006
    ginger's planned obsolescence rant
    ginger-

would you please quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel about it!?!-

smile

george

(I thought I was the dg curmudgeon)
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    I'm way behind on reading ... but if you find out anything new or interesting be sure to share, Chris! So much to learn....so little time. rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 4, 2006
    couple threads I did on this a while back-

please disregard some of my nutty posts that don't really have anything to do with the book-

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29692

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28744

george
    edited April 5, 2006
    looks like I have to buy the book.

Thanks for threads, George. I read them..........but I know I want more. I voted "yes" yesterday.

ginger
    edited April 5, 2006
    ginger-

amazon usually has a pretty good price and free shipping on over 25 bucks-

this book and his other one, the cs2 book, are more like reference books; you go over the book, learn what's in it; then, later on, you're working on a pic and one of his little tricks come to mind and you look it up and it usually helps-

best
    george
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    whoops. I opened the book and didn't notice how fast a read it is. probably not worth summarizing it.
    Are you saying it's too thin to be worth buying?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 5, 2006
    sid-

definitely not the tome his cs2 book is-

george
    edited April 5, 2006
    Well, then I take my yes vote back.

It is not that thin, not like some I have. But it might repeat stuff people already own.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I don't have 25.00 right now.

ginger (assumptions, it is just annoying.)

I was interested in the part about blk/wh conversion, and I was sure there is other stuff. I will buy it some time, probably.

(I actually am a prime member of Amazon, circumstances were diff when I did that. I could have it in two days, but the vet, the doctor, another doctor, medicine, the dentist...................)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Nope
    It's for beginners. It clearly says that in the introduciton. And since I still was hoping to learn something new, I went on... It took me about an hour - maybe just a tad more - to get through it. Compare that with weeks and weeks it took me to finish with Dan's book..ne_nau.gif

I'm not saying it's a bad book, 'cause it ain't. It simply very entry level, for those who don't know or are "afraid" of channels and masks.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Are you saying it's too thin to be worth buying?

The book is alright. I consider myself an advanced photshop user (using it for 4-5 years).

There are some interesting techniques you could learn. But there aren't too many things you could pick up. It's one of those books you wouldn't keep. You just read once; Not like the Margulis LAB book. That you'd want to read over and over and because his techniques are difficult to grasp at first.

The book basically is a collection of tutorials in step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 style.

Dan margulis even has his own chapter and it repeats some of the same techniques already taught in LAB color.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    The book is alright. I consider myself an advanced photshop user (using it for 4-5 years).

There are some interesting techniques you could learn. But there aren't too many things you could pick up. It's one of those books you wouldn't keep. You just read once; Not like the Margulis LAB book. That you'd want to read over and over and because his techniques are difficult to grasp at first.

The book basically is a collection of tutorials in step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 style.

Dan margulis even has his own chapter and it repeats some of the same techniques already taught in LAB color.
    thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 6, 2006
    gee, maybe I'm somewhat obtuse, but I like kelby's tutorial style-

I had a hard time keeping focus on the lab book; that's my bad, not Dan's (is 'my bad' still used?)-

george
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    that's my bad, not Dan's (is 'my bad' still used?)

ever been to a middle school? lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited April 7, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    ever been to a middle school? lol3.gif

can't say that I have-