NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 5, 2006 in Cameras
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Is it just me, or are other people also experiencing a bit of fatigue when trying to read DPReview camera reviews? All those numbers get to me somehow. It's nice to know technical details about a camera, but I have a bit of attention disorder when it gets too technical. I tend to like reviews where a photographer takes a camera, uses it in real life, and describes his personal feelings about that camera, a lot more. Like Sean Reid does at http://www.reidreviews.com (a subscription review site). Or like Michael Reichmann (http://www.luminous-landscape.com) does, when he comments on a camera he uses for a real life project.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    I agree that there are a lot of reviews that are easier/more enjoyable to read, but I always go back to Phil's reviews for the nitty-gritty details that are not found in other reviews. I find myself skipping around the reviews on dpreview so I can just get to the sections that are of interest. I rarely read all 30 pages of his reviews in 1 sitting. eek7.gif Thankfully, Phil makes navigating them fairly easy.
    It's nice to have a variety of review styles - each has their place.
    Back to the topic... yes, it is a nice 30D review - I'll add my comments when I get mine tomorrow. mwink.gif
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:
    I always go back to Phil's reviews for the nitty-gritty details

I guess I just don't care enough about those, to be really interested.
    CSwinton wrote:
    It's nice to have a variety of review styles - each has their place.

They sure all have their place, and I do think the reviews at DPReview are nicely done. They're just not my cup of tea, I think.
    CSwinton wrote:
    Back to the topic... yes, it is a nice 30D review - I'll add my comments when I get mine tomorrow. mwink.gif

Congratulations!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 5, 2006
    Phil's reviews are tedious and chocked full of facts, and I'll also skip around and then go back and read more if I need to. But I'd rather he do thorough and complete reviews, even if its more than most people care to wade through. Nobody else picks up on the minute details other than Phil. I hardly ever get the feeling he has left anything out.

I've just read 10 pages on the 30D tonight. He's dead on with his evaluation. Calls it like he sees it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    I love the 20D>30D morph picture, it really helps see what subtle changes were made. thumb.gif
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Is it just me, or are other people also experiencing a bit of fatigue when trying to read DPReview camera reviews? All those numbers get to me somehow. It's nice to know technical details about a camera, but I have a bit of attention disorder when it gets too technical. I tend to like reviews where a photographer takes a camera, uses it in real life, and describes his personal feelings about that camera, a lot more. Like Sean Reid does at http://www.reidreviews.com (a subscription review site). Or like Michael Reichmann (http://www.luminous-landscape.com) does, when he comments on a camera he uses for a real life project.

Just jump straight to the Conclusion page for the summary. Should tell you most of what you want to know. Then selectively read other parts you're insterested in.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    They sure are
    David_S85 wrote:
    Phil's reviews are tedious and chocked full of facts, and I'll also skip around and then go back and read more if I need to. But I'd rather he do thorough and complete reviews, even if its more than most people care to wade through. Nobody else picks up on the minute details other than Phil. I hardly ever get the feeling he has left anything out.

I've just read 10 pages on the 30D tonight. He's dead on with his evaluation. Calls it like he sees it.

They are detailed and that's what I like about them. The "real-life-project-first-hand-experience" type of review Marloff describes is sure nice, but I find that in most cases other guys' shooting habits/preferences/needs are different from mine. Phil's "cold blood" details provide for unbiased technical decisions. And, as it's been pointed out, his summary page with pros/cons is brief, written in plain English and is usually dead on.
    And, of course, "every man to his taste", that's what great about the Internet - everybody can find what he/she likes the most. "May a hundred flowers bloom in your garden".:):

Cheers1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"