What is a "Fan"?

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited April 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
In my control panel, in the Friends and Family section, I have a "fan" (thanks Doc!).

What is a fan? What does this mean? How is that different than a "friend", and how do I indicate that I am a "fan" of other smugmug sites?

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    In my control panel, in the Friends and Family section, I have a "fan" (thanks Doc!).

What is a fan? What does this mean? How is that different than a "friend", and how do I indicate that I am a "fan" of other smugmug sites?

These are people that added you as a friend or family. You can go to their homepage and add them if you so choose.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    cmason wrote:

They're smugmuggers and admirers. They went to your page, and clicked on a link "this is my friend" and now you see them as a "fan"

Go ahead, try it :)

http://www.smugmug.com/help/friends-and-family
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    When you add someone to your friendlist, but this person doesn't have you on his' friendslist in return, you're a fan of this person. iloveyou.gif
    To make 'Doc' from your example a friend you've to add him too.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian

EDIT: How's that for a record - 3 answears in 6 minutes after the thread was created. :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited April 4, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    These are people that added you as a friend or family. You can go to their homepage and add them if you so choose.

d0h - I'm so lagged. Thanks sheaf deal.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    d0h - I'm so lagged. Thanks sheaf deal.gif

OK understand, but if I didnt ask here, I would never have guessed that...why not have a message or comment that says " Doc added you as a friend, click here to visit Doc's homepage" or something like that?

Also, can someone please put a note in the Friends and Family FAQ with info about how this works when someone adds you to their own list? At least a reference to 'fan". I had no idea this happened in this manner, and feel kinda bad....
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    Uh oh... we are heading the route of myspace. First ranking photos and now fans. :-) Myspace seems to revolve around the number of friends you can add to your page.

I first saw the fan part when Markham helped me out with something this weekend. He started showing up as a fan. I tried to research it but gave up when I saw only friend and family as an option. I chalked it up to Markham working for SM and that he was watching our site to see what I did with it.

cmason, I added you as a friend after some of our mutual discussions here on dgrin. I liked your work. That friend link can possibly help your google ranking.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited April 4, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Uh oh... we are heading the route of myspace. First ranking photos and now fans. :-)

Since October of 2004 we've had this feature :D
    http://www.smugmug.com/aboutus/news.mg
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    Some of us just have not paid attention to it. Also, A lot of people have customized so much that features like this get hidden.

Besides, I did not say it was a bad thing :D
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited April 4, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Besides, I did not say it was a bad thing :D

mwink.gif I know - just wanted to say that it's been 'round a while