New 30d

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited April 10, 2006 in Cameras
Well the taxes finally came in, I got a bonus at work and the stars, earth, and mars all lined up exactly right so I ordered my new 30D:clap

This is my first new camera. I bought my 300d used here from Jeff Lapoint almost a year ago. It is a good camera and has served me well but I just feel like it's time for a step forward.

As for everyone complaining canon didn't make the 30d that much better than the 20d I say GOOD. I told the DW I ordered the 20d and since they look almost identical she will never know until it's to late:wink

Anyways with 2 day shipping from B&H it came to $1386. Now I just have to find a way to make it till Friday.

I feel like a kid who just got a new bike for Christmas:D

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Woooo Hooooo
    I'm so happy for you.
    Friday will be here before you know it.
    Let's see some pics of the twins!
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Stoked!
    When I moved on from Cam to the 20D I couldn't believe the difference. Prepare to be freakin blown away my friend. There may be a small learning curve as you learn your new super powers, but be patient--I can't wait to see what you can do with your new camera!

Hope the twins are doing well!

-j
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Congrats! Waiting is hard.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Congrats, Eric, you're gonna love it.
    My lady and I each have a 20D, but I just bought two 30D's for us.
    Even coming from the 20D, it's a terrific camera. Lots of really nifty additions/improvements.

Jack
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    I've got a 20d, and I'm not about to try and switch- due to the fury of my accountant/life partner.

Nevertheless, my upstairs neighbor is struggling to figure out which camera to surprise his wife with for her birthday. She's quite a good photographer, but has been using old film rigs and digital P&S. Her husband has a budget of $1500, which can't be stretched. (so the d200 is out)- he wants to stick with canon, as I have canon lenses she can borrow and other gear.

So he's looking at the 30d, 20d, or 350d.

My impression thus far is that the 30d isn't really worth the extra $250 or so; the improvements seem to be bigger LCD (who cares), more subtle ISO differentiations (nice, but not crucial) and a bigger buffer for longer continuous drine (not important, as she doesn't use CD much in her type of shooting). So, is the 30d really that mcuh better? If he decides for the 20d, is he making a mistake not getting the 30d? I have never held or seen a 30d, but on paper the advantages don't look very important to me; what's your experience with the 30d, as an ex-20d user?

Also, as far as the 350d goes, other than the lighter body and lower continuous drive rate, are there any other differences? This girl has no lenses at all, so a 20d with the kit lens would cost about as much as a 350d with the 17-40 L. Which is a better deal?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Well the taxes finally came in, I got a bonus at work and the stars, earth, and mars all lined up exactly right so I ordered my new 30Dclap.gif
    Eric

Congrats!thumb.gif I was in my local camera shop yesterday and they had two 30D's in stock, I didn't feel I would be able to sneek it by my wife though.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Congratz Eric, you won't be disappointed thumb.gif

Justiceiro wrote:
    This girl has no lenses at all, so a 20d with the kit lens would cost about as much as a 350d with the 17-40 L. Which is a better deal?

since its for a woman i'd go with the XT and 17-40 and a 50 1.8 II, maybe the battery grip if she has larger hands...

if it was me, i would never give up my control dialiloveyou.gif lol.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Eric,
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Well the taxes finally came in, I got a bonus at work and the stars, earth, and mars all lined up exactly right so I ordered my new 30Dclap.gif

Eric

Congrats! You won't regret it:-)!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    since its for a woman i'd go with the XT and 17-40 and a 50 1.8 II, maybe the battery grip if she has larger hands...

HUH? Whats up with THAT remark Danielumph.gif):
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Big Congats on the new rig, you will love it!
    edited April 7, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    HUH? Whats up with THAT remark Danielumph.gif):

There are thoughts in some quarters that the 350d was created partly as a way to market to women, because they tend to have smaller hands. I myself have big fat sausage fingers, and found the 350d didn't sit well in my grip- the 20d, however, may be a bit too bulky for someone with smaller hands.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Congrats Eric can't wait to see some photos drums.gif

Fred
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Congrats! When you get it, lock up the shutter and take a quick peek at the sensor first. I also ordered mine from B&H and it looks like I got one that was defunked. There are chunks of clear plastic/glass all over the sensor, not sure where they came from, they look like pieces of something internal, some kind of assembly fluke it seems. I'm suprised QC didn't catch it, but it took me a few pictures before I saw a pattern of nasty blotches in all the shots. Last thing I expected from a new camera was a "dirty" sensor. In any case its going back to B&H for an exchange as soon as I can get a hold of them. Hopefully this is a limited problem, and I can't wait to see some killer photos from a working 30D.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    YEAH it came today. Wow this thing is great. I took it out of the box put a battery in it and fired away. Took a few random snaps then DW said let's see what it can do. So I held down the shutter button and 19 shots latter it was still going. I stopped before it did.

Of course it started raining again today, at least I can play indoors.

This thing is greatthumb.gifclap.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • J-BJ-B Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:

This is my first new camera. I bought my 300d used here from Jeff Lapoint almost a year ago. It is a good camera and has served me well but I just feel like it's time for a step forward.

As for everyone complaining canon didn't make the 30d that much better than the 20d I say GOOD. I told the DW I ordered the 20d and since they look almost identical she will never know until it's to latemwink.gif

Anyways with 2 day shipping from B&H it came to $1386. Now I just have to find a way to make it till Friday.

I feel like a kid who just got a new bike for Christmas:D

Eric

Congrats, I just got mine today......now I can shoot at 5FPS YEEHAW!!clap.gif
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    There are thoughts in some quarters that the 350d was created partly as a way to market to women, because they tend to have smaller hands. I myself have big fat sausage fingers, and found the 350d didn't sit well in my grip- the 20d, however, may be a bit too bulky for someone with smaller hands.
    I find this a bit of a nonsense but would be interested in other women photographers' view. It is almost like saying to Eric, fine with your new camera but never get a Bigma for it because you won't be be to hand-hold for good results. To a woman choosing between a 350d and 30-or-5d I'd say use tri/monopod, do weights, work out, whatever it takes. Don't settle for less because someone has put you in a small hands box.

Thusie, well said. Came over to me like the used car sales pitch "suit woman driver".

Edit to add: Eric congrats on the camera - anything to post yet, just checked your homepage, nothing yet - waiting, waiting.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    YEAH it came today. Wow this thing is great. I took it out of the box put a battery in it and fired away. Took a few random snaps then DW said let's see what it can do. So I held down the shutter button and 19 shots latter it was still going. I stopped before it did.

Of course it started raining again today, at least I can play indoors.

This thing is greatthumb.gifclap.gif

Eric

Congrats Eric! thumb.gifthumb I just ordered a new camera myself (not a 30d) and can't wait till it gets here. clap.gif
    edited April 10, 2006
    I find this a bit of a nonsense but would be interested in other women photographers' view. It is almost like saying to Eric, fine with your new camera but never get a Bigma for it because you won't be be to hand-hold for good results. To a woman choosing between a 350d and 30-or-5d I'd say use tri/monopod, do weights, work out, whatever it takes. Don't settle for less because someone has put you in a small hands box.

I'm not sure what you are saying here exactly. There certainly is talk that the 350d may have been designed in order to market it to women, that's not something I came up with myself. Wether that marketing idea is appropriate is another matter entirely. I quite like the 350d, but I have abnormally large hands, so I simply can't walk around with it- and if you do street/doc type of stuff the ability to put it on a tripod won't really matter. Had the 350d been the same size as digital rebel, I would have bought it and the 17-40 L, rather than the 20d with the 18-55.

Different tools for different jobs. I would definitely advise someone not to get a bigma if they are worried about using it as a walking around lens- its really not appropriate for that.

And people also have different physical carachteristics that have to be taken into account when choosing equipment, particularly equipment that is lugged around rather than used in the studio. There is no insult or sexist thinking, implied or otherwise, in accepting that proposition as true.