Leaves in a Stream

sdomminsdommin Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited April 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
From New Hampshire, Oct 05. This is one of my favorite shots from last fall's foliage season. I was taking a picture of a tree who just wasn't cooperating with me. I looked down and saw this composition of the colorful leaves in a calm part of the stream where the water wasn't flowing rapidly, and bubbles had formed from a small cascade a few feet away. It reminds me of an old Japanese woodcut for some reason...

streamleaf.jpg

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    It's a nice picture, Scott. But who would have expected otherwise from you? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to the stream in post processing? It looks a bit desaturated. I like the effect, but just can't figure out how much of it is nature and how much of it is Scott.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    awesome photo, im seeing these leaves and thinking their from an ash tree which is a distant relative of the olive tree

also
    i enjoy your photos documenting of the water movement, many diffrent directions its flowing, though
    its all in one direction, you know what im saying?
    do i know what im saying?
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Oh...
    sdommin wrote:
    From New Hampshire, Oct 05. This is one of my favorite shots from last fall's foliage season. I was taking a picture of a tree who just wasn't cooperating with me. I looked down and saw this composition of the colorful leaves in a calm part of the stream where the water wasn't flowing rapidly, and bubbles had formed from a small cascade a few feet away. It reminds me of an old Japanese woodcut for some reason...

streamleaf.jpg

I like this photo too... something you don't see everyday, glad you were able to capture it and share with us.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Wow, these are gorgeous!
    You are shooting with the Sony R1 now?

Anyway these are some fantastic photos of Zion and Bryce...

http://www.pbase.com/sdommin/zion05
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Nice Effect
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • sdomminsdommin Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    It's a nice picture, Scott. But who would have expected otherwise from you? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to the stream in post processing? It looks a bit desaturated. I like the effect, but just can't figure out how much of it is nature and how much of it is Scott.

Thanks, Marlof. The only post-processing I did to this was to bump up the contrast just a bit (just personal preference - I thought it looked better that way). I'm not quite sure what you mean by the stream being desaturated. Its some dark water with a bunch of tiny white bubbles floating by (and the colored leaves, of course).

But in the end, its all Mother Nature, isn't it?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Hi Scott
    sdommin wrote:

What a lovely picture you've made.....nice warm colours too.
    Works well thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    sdommin wrote:
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by the stream being desaturated. Its some dark water with a bunch of tiny white bubbles floating by

The water looked very B&W to me, esp. yesterday on my work screen. At home, on a color corrected monitor, I see what you mean. Ain't Mother Nature swell, offering that diversity of images, all for free?
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • sdomminsdommin Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Hi Dee,

Yep, I got me a fancy new R1 and I love it! I highly recommend it for us landscape shooters.

(Having said that, though, this photo was taken with a Canon 20D)
    Dee wrote:
    You are shooting with the Sony R1 now?

Anyway these are some fantastic photos of Zion and Bryce...

http://www.pbase.com/sdommin/zion05