headshot for acting student

GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited April 6, 2006 in People
The girl liked this shot so I am trying to ignore the thoughts in my head of the skin looking to white. What do you think?
Giselle

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    nice jobthumb.gif .....do not worry so much that hse is pastie....your work is what counts...'tis good thumb.gif ...now if she had added just a touch of powder or base, she'd been goth......

I do not know why actor types like the pastie look but a lot do....now the ones more into signing and opera seem to not go into that direction and ask for color here in this part of the world.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    I think it is a great shot! Very nicely done! thumb.gif
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    What lense did you use with your XT?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Dave_RG40Dave_RG40 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Sadly. for its intended purposes, I would vote there is too much white on the face and hand/arm.

Although, I can see why she likes it! Pretty Image!

All the Best,

Dave
  • GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    I use a Tamron 28-200. Thanks for the comments...
    Giselle
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    I really like it and most importantly she likes it!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    Giselle,

This is very close to what I consider, "High-Key/HiKey", except the background is too dark for true High Key.

As such, some subtle features are partially reduced with flat and bright lighting (a light tone overall), which enhances outlines and major shapes.

If the background were more of light tones, I think it would work better overall.

Just an IMHO,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    The girl liked this shot so I am trying to ignore the thoughts in my head of the skin looking to white. What do you think?

I won't comment on whether her skin is too white, too dark, too soft, too sharp, etc. But I WILL say this. I'm always amazed at other people's (non-photographer types) reaction to my photos. I will see a slightly out of focus shot or tiny bit of visible noise and get ready to hit delete...and THEN someone nearby says "Oh I love that one!" Isn't it all about giving your client what they want? Why, after all, would anyone want to pay for photos YOU as the photographer likes?...if they (the client) don't like it? I'm just making a point...or trying to anyway...Laughing.gif No offense. I'm just getting to the point in my photography hobby where I'm coming to the realization that it's ok to analyze photos...but OVER-analyzing can drive you nuts and make you not enjoy taking photos so much...because they never some out "perfect". Doing this as a profession probably causes one to more more analytical and thereby making it really seem like a 'job'...so I can see where one would have to be more critical if this is your profession. On the other hand, maybe keeping an open mind and looking at photos like the average viewer would, would actually make your photography better? Don't know.

Ok, I can't resist...my personal preference? I would have the skin a tad bit darker. That's my personal opinion though.