Which new body to get the Canon 1Ds Mk II or 5D?

CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
edited April 7, 2006 in Cameras
I'm going to get a full-frame camera to compliment my 1D Mk IIn and was hoping to get some thoughts from those of you who've had experiences with these two cameras. I know several of you have both of these bodies, or have shot with both and have sold the 1Ds MkII in favor of the 5D.

So... other than the obvious price difference how do these two really compare? I'm primarily interested in using the new body for landscapes (as in next month's shootout) to get the most amount of detail/color that I can capture. The 1Ds also has a plus for its higher resolution and also since I'm already familiar with the body design/layout, and it uses the same batteries etc as my 1D MkIIn.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Jack
Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    given your situation and the details you described, i would get the 1Ds MkII if i were you... share batteries, 16 megapixels *most detail you can get*, weather/dust sealed for that climate at Zion/Bryce... but i can tell you that the 5D has less noise than the 1Ds from what i've heard..... ask andy though, he'll be able to comment because he's owned both....

regards,
    Daniel
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    I'm going to get a full-frame camera to compliment my 1D Mk IIn and was hoping to get some thoughts from those of you who've had experiences with these two cameras. I know several of you have both of these bodies, or have shot with both and have sold the 1Ds MkII in favor of the 5D.

So... other than the obvious price difference how do these two really compare? I'm primarily interested in using the new body for landscapes (as in next month's shootout) to get the most amount of detail/color that I can capture. The 1Ds also has a plus for its higher resolution and also since I'm already familiar with the body design/layout, and it uses the same batteries etc as my 1D MkIIn.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    Jack

I shoot with a 20D and 1DmkII so I can't really related FF in digital except for the few times I've used 1Ds and 1DsmkII because friends have it.

The one thing that really stands out to me is how amazing the 1DsmkII captures sand and snow. The dynamic range appears so much greater or it can resolve more colors. Either way its very impressive.

I know its a very popular studio / fashion body and some use it instead of MF and digi backs.

I will tell you that there is a bit of a lag going from the 1d to the 20d because of things being in different places. If you are going to use both at the same time the 1ds is probably easier.

On the 5d, I know a few people locally how modified the mirror box for leica lenses and the camera is capable of awesome images. I just don't know that much about them.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Thanks for the responses, Daniel and Bob. I've decided to go with the 5D though... In part to save $4k and as expensive as this camera is, I'd rather be on the front-end of its production run than almost two-years into it. :D

Thanks again,
    Jack
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    The 5D is a geat camera, but it is not a 1 series camera. Its autofocus does not come close to the 1DsMkll. The difference in image noise is not visible in any print, I suspect.

If I had to choose, and I wanted a walk around camera, 5D hands down. But if I wanted the better landscape/studio, action camera - 1DsMkll - no doubt.

I know Andy prefers the 5D for street shooting, and I would also if I only shot street..

But it isn't a 1 series camera - water-sealing, metering, autofocusing, battery life, build quality, interchangeable viewfinder screens,long term value.

Yes, the 1DsMkll has been on the market a few years, and there may be a new one shortly, but it is still a camera that can put medium format images on your CF card, and use lenses from 15-800mm. The 1DsMkll will be an appealing camera for years to come, I believe.

And the 1DsMkll shares a similar arrangement of controls with the 1DMkllN, while the 5D is a 20D set of controls. I think you will find features in the 1DMkllN that you miss in the 5D

They're both great camera - worlds ahead of what was available 3 or 4 years ago. Just have their unique differences.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Did you say Leica lens on 5D???
    Bob Bell wrote:
    On the 5d, I know a few people locally how modified the mirror box for leica lenses...

Can you tell me more about this modification? Please...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I know Andy prefers the 5D for street shooting, and I would also if I only shot street..

I actually prefer it for all my shooting: landscapes, portraits, street, situational, etc.

If I were primarily shooting landscape, wildlife, and the AF + 1-Series build mattered there a lot, I'd have stuck with the 1Ds Mark II. If I were shooting primarily sports/fast action - the 1D IIN.

Mostly portrait and events I'm doing - the 5D works great for me - and added bonues is I can easily use it for street and landscape work, too :D Heck, even birds!