Options

Ch 62 Under the bridge

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited April 12, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took this this afternoon, 2 shots stacked to allow for the daylight. Unfortunately the EXIF has dissapeared, I think because I moved both shots onto a new sheet.

shutter speed 1/6 sec / 1.3 sec
F/14 / F/14
Focal length: 40mm / 40mm
Lens: 28-70mm
Shot date:06 Apr 2006
Under The Bridge
63246210-L.jpg

Comments appreciated

Cheers
Stan

Comments

• Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Out of Focus?
    Good Idea - I like the top... but the bottom and the streams of water seeem a little OOF. Or perhaps they didn't stack properly. Did you use a tripod? it looks handheld, and like you might have moved a little bit in between the two pictures.

Or maybe it's my eyes...
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    I like the idea too.

I think it's in focus except for the water, which I think is supposed to be soft. My only concern is that it's a little dark at the bottom of the falls.

Cool shot! Good job on the stacking.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    Comments appreciated
    Cheers
    Stan

I like it without the opening above, I feel it distracts. IMO:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    Jamoke wrote:
    Good Idea - I like the top... but the bottom and the streams of water seeem a little OOF. Or perhaps they didn't stack properly. Did you use a tripod? it looks handheld, and like you might have moved a little bit in between the two pictures.

Or maybe it's my eyes...

Thanks for the reply Jamoke, Yes I used a tripod, but at 1.3 second exposure, the movement is the water.
    The focus is fine, at F/14 the DOF is pretty broad.
    I may try a re-shoot on a longer exposure to soften the water more, rather than just blur it.
    I don't like the crop to the top of the arch either. so I will go a little wider
    juliejules wrote:
    I like the idea too.

I think it's in focus except for the water, which I think is supposed to be soft. My only concern is that it's a little dark at the bottom of the falls.

Cool shot! Good job on the stacking.

Thanks JulieJules. It was shot with availabe light and was quite gloomy in there so I guess the bottom was worse may be I could try dodging the bottom ne_nau.gif
    Jeffro wrote:

Hi Jeffro, I took some shots close up of the timbers, but there was no context so I pulled back, kicked the beams and gave a wider scene.

Thanks for the replys, they have given me somthings to think about.

Stan
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    cool interpretation of the theme thumb.gif

bowdown.gif Thank you Angelo :D
    Stan
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

I agree with this comment. Another way to get context when you pulled back was to go to a landscape orientation and open up your exposure a bit so you can get more lighting effects. You have lighting coming from the top and that probably would have looked neat. I'd play with your white balance also...a bit too blue.

Erich
  • Options
    bfishkindbfishkind Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    thumb.gif

Nice job reworking this image for the contest posting. Love the super-wide angle view and great, silky water. I usually see this water effect used on a stream over rocks or waterfall; I like how the water here pokes through the wood where it can. Nice contrast of movement to the static wood and bricks.

Regards,

Beth
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    bfishkind wrote:
    thumb.gif

Nice job reworking this image for the contest posting. Love the super-wide angle view and great, silky water. I usually see this water effect used on a stream over rocks or waterfall; I like how the water here pokes through the wood where it can. Nice contrast of movement to the static wood and bricks.

Regards,

Beth

Thanks Beth

erich6 wrote:
    agree with this comment. Another way to get context when you pulled back was to go to a landscape orientation and open up your exposure a bit so you can get more lighting effects. You have lighting coming from the top and that probably would have looked neat. I'd play with your white balance also...a bit too blue.

Erich

Thanks Erich, the space under the bridge was only about 3'6" by 5'6" so space was limited. I agree with you on the colour balance.

For the reshoot I shanged lenses from the 28-70mm to the 10-22mm.

Cheers
    Stan