Please make bulk keywording faster

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited April 25, 2006 in SmugMug Support
So I was trying to bulk keyword this gallery http://davidson.smugmug.com/gallery/1302944
After about 30 minutes it timed out, and only the first 110 photos got keyworded. This means I either have to blank those out and try over, or enter them in one by one, since adding them in bulk adds them in to all of them, and then 110 photos would be double keyworded. I don't know if it matters for keywording, but this is on a connection that uploads 100mb of photos in about 4 minutes (and that's only because of how my school throttles it, I can upload 100mb of photos in 10 seperate windows - so thats 1gig - and it'll still only take 4 minutes).

Comments

• {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    What browser and on what OS?
    So I was trying to bulk keyword this gallery http://davidson.smugmug.com/gallery/1302944
    After about 30 minutes it timed out, and only the first 110 photos got keyworded. This means I either have to blank those out and try over, or enter them in one by one, since adding them in bulk adds them in to all of them, and then 110 photos would be double keyworded. I don't know if it matters for keywording, but this is on a connection that uploads 100mb of photos in about 4 minutes (and that's only because of how my school throttles it, I can upload 100mb of photos in 10 seperate windows - so thats 1gig - and it'll still only take 4 minutes).
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    me too...
    I bulk keyworded a gallery today that had about 50 pics... I noticed it took a while when I hit Save. It did seem longer than it used to be.
    IE 6+ on window 2000
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    I was using Firefox 1.5 on Windows XP
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    We'll do what we can. Thanks for letting us know.

But - please please - you guys are advanced - and you should be doing the heavy lifting of keywording before you upload to SmugMug - it's easier, faster, and the benefit is that your files on your computer are fully meta-tagged, searchble locally, when you update or reprocess the keywords will be the same, etc etc.

I recommend these two books, and getting on a serious IPTC keyword deal in your workflows:

Real World Camera Raw by Bruce Fraser,

and

The Dam Book
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1146395
    edited April 7, 2006
    I didn't even know we could keyword before uploading. I figured it out though thumb.gif (oh, and Andy, it's food or books, not both...think Raskolnikov style of college student...as far as being broke, not as far as being communist and immoral).
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Okay, I'll bite...
    How do I keyword before upload?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
    edited April 7, 2006
    What photoshopping software do you use? If you use PS, if you go to file, and then file info, there is a selection there for iptc info and there is a box for keywords. I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing if you record it as an action you can then batch keyword. If you use breeze browser it's apparently even easier (I don't use it, but if you go to the smugmug help page, then keywords, there is a link to a how to for breezebrowser).
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    I use bridge. You can add keywords to your master list (whatever it's called) and then select a bunch of images and apply a keyword to all of them at once. I do it to the RAW files so that any file generated from them gets the keywords, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    For the reasons Andy stated, you definitely should be doing the keywording and captioning prior to uploading.

I typically use ThumbsPlus, though I'll sometimes edit IPTC data while in Photoshop.

Here's a free Windows program I just installed on my nephew's computer. I gave it a quick test drive and it seems pretty decent.

http://www.pixvue.com/product/describe.html
    edited April 14, 2006
    it used to be faster.... I've done all my keywording right here on smugmug, no problem. Using Bulk Keywording, you just

type, tab tab tab,
    type, tab tab tab...
    type, tab tab tab...

then save. Very easy, I am very fast at it.

The save operation takes much longer now, that is the only issue.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    it used to be faster.... I've done all my keywording right here on smugmug, no problem. Using Bulk Keywording, you just

type, tab tab tab,
    type, tab tab tab...
    type, tab tab tab...

then save. Very easy, I am very fast at it.

The save operation takes much longer now, that is the only issue.

Strange, thought we fixed this a week or two ago. It's still slow?

Don
    edited April 15, 2006
    OK, no arguing that it may be fast to add keywords on smugmug (or at least used to be), but the advantage of adding keywords offline into the IPTC metadata field is that it is embedded in the image file and goes everywhere the image goes, e.g., to smugmug to be automatically extracted, via e-mail, etc.

You can also (and should) embed a copyright statement, caption, etc.

Heaven forbid that smugmug were to go down hard and lose image data. If that happened, all of your web-based captions and keywords would be lost.

FYI, IPTC stands for International Press Telecommunications Council. The image metadata standard was specifically developed to transmit information along with the images and as such, is in widespread use among the press and other industries.

Do as you see fit. I just want to make sure you're aware that there are other options available in case you weren't aware.

Regards,
    Pat
    edited April 15, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Strange, thought we fixed this a week or two ago. It's still slow?

Don

oops, could be fixed now, been a couple weeks since I've tried it. I didn't see anything in the blog about this being fixed and I was just chiming in.rolleyes1.gif
    I just tried it.... yes it is wicked fast now thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    oops, could be fixed now, been a couple weeks since I've tried it. I didn't see anything in the blog about this being fixed and I was just chiming in.rolleyes1.gif
    I just tried it.... yes it is wicked fast now thumb.gif

clap.gifclap.gif
  • RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Hello all,

I recently learned about IPTC keywords and I'm really interested in trying it out. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money and this is all really for personal use only...so, does anyone know of a FREE program that I can use to add IPTC info to my photos?

EDIT: I searched on download.com and found FastStone Image Viewer and XnView, both of which allow you to edit IPTC info. However, it seems like the keywords don't import into smugmug correctly...I added a keyword of "kitty cat" to a photo (just to test it), but a search for "kitty cat" returned nothing within my photos. A search for "kitty", however, found the photo with the "kitty cat" keyword.

The keyword info shows up as "; kitty; kitty cat; cat; blah blah;" with each keyword followed by a semi-colon. I tried entering multi-word keywords in quotes ("kitty cat") to keep the words together, but it still didn't work right. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a program that is more compatible with smugmug's keyword system? Should I just give up because I obviously have no idea what I'm doing? ne_nau.gifmwink.gif
    edited April 25, 2006
    Give it another go Redhed. It's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it.

Look up thread for my reference to a free Windows program at http://www.pixvue.com/product/describe.html

smugmug fixed multi-word keywords, so you no longer need NOR WANT to use quotes.

In both PixVue and ThumbsPlus, all you do is enter the multi-word keywords onto their own lines in the dialogue box. The program puts in the appropriate separators and they're read without problem on smugmug.
  • RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Well...I tried it again using xnview, and I guess it works...

I put the pics here: http://redhead.smugmug.com/gallery/1400631

All five of those pics has a keyword of "blah blah blah"...when I search for blah blah blah, the pics don't show up under the keywords matching 'blah blah blah' section, but they DO show under the photos matching 'blah blah blah' section...why?