Options

Sony F828 and RAW Conversion

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited April 10, 2006 in Technique
Alright well I kinda-sorta lost my original Sony RAW Conversion Software. I tried opening the .SRF (sony raw file) files I have through my Photoshop CS1 and even with the new 'RAW' patch for it, it still doesn't load it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew where else I could download the Sony created program that came with the CD or any tricks/tips into making it work on Adobe PS.

thanks thanks

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Don't use the Sony conversion application. It has absolutely no benefit over Adobe Camera Raw, and it's a hassle to work with compared to Camera Raw. I have used the RAW files of my Sony DSC-F828 with Adobe Photoshop CS before. Support for the 828 was added with ACR 2.1, which works with Adobe Photoshop CS. You've stated that you've update ACR. Are you sure you applied an ACR 2 update, and not an ACR 3 update (for CS2, won't work with CS)?
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    yeah..No it doesnt work on my CS1. ne_nau.gif

I really do not want to upgrade to CS2 just to convert my RAW images rolleyes1.gif

I did update the 'Camera Raw' file plugin from Adobe's website, it still doesn't allow me to open it. I think it was version 3. But shouldn't be backwards compatible? Where can I get version 2?

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Any other ideas?

If it really doesn't work, use Adobe's free DNG converter to package your SRF files as DNG files. Then open these with ACR in CS. You may need to reinstall the old version of ACR, in case you've broken anything.

DNG support was introducted with CS, so no worries there.

A bit tedious, but it can be done in batches.

Luke
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I have ADD so i cant read further than 3 lines but maybe you could read it to see if it does sony. Rawshooter.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Trust me, I used it, and it works with CS. This is not a reason to upgrade. But you should *not* install version 3, that is for CS2. You should install the latest version of 2. Since ACR2.1 ACR supports Sony DSC-F828. So install ACR 2.1 (from the link above) or even better ACR 2.4.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2006
    I was able to convert the SRF file to a DRG file with the programs. However, even after using version 2.1 and 2.4 'Camera RAW Plug-In's, it still won't open up in Adobe PS CS1.

Any other clues?
  • Options
    SafariSafari Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    Alright well I kinda-sorta lost my original Sony RAW Conversion Software.
    I think I remember that the Sony software is not downloadable from anywhere, presumably a copyright issue as the software is produced for Sony by a 3rd party. Of course it would be a copyright violation and therefore not something to do publicly, but you might find another F828 user who is sufficiently disdainful of copyright to send you a copy.
    Picasa and IrfanView will both open SRF files. Both have very primitive editing capabilities, and the parameters used to open the files might give rather ugly results, but at very least you would be able to save the images in TIF or JPG format.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Safari wrote:
    ....but you might find another F828 user who is sufficiently disdainful of copyright to send you a copy.

mwink.gif:):

I'm going to keep looking for that darn cd, one of these days I'll find it!!
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    I was able to convert the SRF file to a DRG file with the programs. However, even after using version 2.1 and 2.4 'Camera RAW Plug-In's, it still won't open up in Adobe PS CS1.

Any other clues?

It sounds like you may have a broken installation of Photoshop, try removing the whole thing and reinstalling it.

Then only reinstall 2.4, I'm not sure how well CS will take to the ACR from CS2.

Luke
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2006
    Safari wrote:
    I think I remember that the Sony software is not downloadable from anywhere, presumably a copyright issue as the software is produced for Sony by a 3rd party.

There is also the other issue that it is very poor software offering only minimal advantages over JPEG and running at the speed of a nuerologically impared snail.

(IHMO ;))

Luke
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    mwink.gif:):

I'm going to keep looking for that darn cd, one of these days I'll find it!!

You may have already done this but...
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-faq.pl?mdl=DSCF828#
    That is the home page for Sony F828.
    Try contacting Sony. If you have no luck, PM me. I have the F828 and probably the software somewhere. I'll look.
    Shawna
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    thanks, ill give you guys a pm if and when i quit searching for the cd