Options

First studio portrait, feedback wanted

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited October 17, 2004 in People
Hi, this is my first studio portrait ever... I used the lamps in school,
and Alex is a co-student, willing to pose.
He was pleased with how I portraiyed him, but I wonder if this is an acceptable picture as to photographers qualities...
This is a new and exiting field for me, and certainly further time is needed to explore and get a good feel of it.
Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am here after all to learn.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    Second studio portrait shot
    This is the same evening, school studio. A dad and his daughter. I knew I wanted those two together, they both are on my course.
    I wanted them to show how they relate and comnunicate with each other, they get along so well, and this picture shows a father and a daughter in a nice moment.
    I have no idea of what I am doing really, it is all so new to me.
    Any feedback again welcome
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    nice shots!
    first one (handsome man by the way! - a bit sean connery dare i say?) a bit grainy? what ISO setting? might need a bit of cropping to get rid of a bit of the black on his shirt ne_nau.gif
    second one, really nice shot, i like this a lot, they are obviously very comfortable with each other! i can't tell if it would be better with the shot centred or whether it works being a little off centre - kind of gives it a contempory feel ?
    nice ones though!thumb.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    I like the both. #1 is a little contrasty, but it works quite well with this subject. I think I would crop #2 a little tighter, but still keep it off center.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    First portraits
    The grain came when I converted it to black and white. They were originally shot in color, and I probably got more grain with the contrast tweeking.
    I might crop off a bit of his shirt...
    I wondered about the off center position off the dad and Pippa, but was not sure if cropping would be right. Personally, I would crop it a bit, but still leave them off center, as Thomas advizes.

Thank you guys. I am grateful for the comments.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    Hi, this is my first studio portrait ever... I used the lamps in school,
    and Alex is a co-student, willing to pose.
    He was pleased with how I portraiyed him, but I wonder if this is an acceptable picture as to photographers qualities...
    This is a new and exiting field for me, and certainly further time is needed to explore and get a good feel of it.
    Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am here after all to learn.
    I like this and I realise that the grain is from the conversion. How does it look in orig colour? Also I know you (like me) prefer not to PS shots but you might consider blurring the sharp edge transition above his head
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    How does it look in color
    The original of Alex is gone! I am always careful and work on copies, but I guess this one went wrong.
    I do have another shot in this series though, they all looked like that.
    The lamps were very hot, and poor Alex was sweating so much... grin
    I decided to turn him into black and white to avoid the redness...
    They were all underexposed too, I need more practice time in the studio.
    I hope I won't loose to much sharpness when I soften the edge on his head... I had not even noticed that. Thanks for the feedback