Critique gallery comment etiquette?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 8, 2006 in SmugMug Support
So what's the right etiquette for comments in critique galleries. I added one and explicitly asked for both positive and negative feedback. I'd like comments as honest as on the whipping post.

I'm sure not everyone wants this though. In the absence of explicit instructions, I'm guessing that only positive comments are appropriate, or at most some post processing suggestions. Usually I give the later without a "stars" rating, but the popularity thing encourages star escalation, I think.

Thoughts?
If not now, when?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    So what's the right etiquette for comments in critique galleries. I added one and explicitly asked for both positive and negative feedback. I'd like comments as honest as on the whipping post.

I'm sure not everyone wants this though. In the absence of explicit instructions, I'm guessing that only positive comments are appropriate, or at most some post processing suggestions. Usually I give the later without a "stars" rating, but the popularity thing encourages star escalation, I think.

Thoughts?

Cave Canem!

You're overthinking again. Tell it like it is, man - don't sugar coat me!

IMO - it's like our whipping post - though it won't be nearly the same - but if someone is setting the gallery to critique, and asking for critique, go give it to them.

If it's a horrible photo, make a s*** sandwich: Say something good, then the s*** and then something good or encouraging.

More on how to critique, here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=13427

And why not link that thread in your gallery, like I did, like this?

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/1340265

deal.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Not really overthinking in this case, just trying hard not to be rude in my Asperger's sort of way.

I wrote an explicit invitation for both positive and negative feedback on the top of the gallery. I don't know how better to invite blunt criticism, except possibly to use bigger stronger font.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I don't know how better to invite blunt criticism,

You don't like my suggestion? ear.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You don't like my suggestion? ear.gif

No, your suggestion was fine. I just had already done this. And I like the fact that it says what it says right there and you don't have to follow a link and read a lot to find out that I want straight blunt criticism. We've seen over and over again that people won't read anything more than 10 words long, so I tried to say what I wanted as succinctly as possible.

Also, I'm inviting even more blunt critique than you describe in the threads.
    If not now, when?
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Rutt, thanks for your kind words about my pics today.

Even though I haven't explicitly stated so, constructive criticism (even harsh and only somewhat constructive) gets left on my site. My personal feeling is that I'm much more willing to put up with criticism if it comes from someone who bothers to tell me who they are. But anonymous comments like "not attractive" (that's a real one from my site) get deleted. My thought is that I can't possibly expect to please everyone but I don't have to put up with nastiness from anonymous people. I also know that I've got boatloads to learn about even the basics of photography so I'm open to comments.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/