Working with a model

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited April 10, 2006 in People
I've taken portraits of people before. But this is the first time an aspiring model was available to me to photograph. Plus, I wanted to test out my new SunPak 383 flash (I need a LOT of practice!!!).

This is one shot I took in late afternoon natural light. I told the model (a friend of my daughter's) that she really needed to chose better makeup and clothing colors, do something with her hair and not to exaggerate some poses. While she wasn't awkward, she didn't know what to do, and I wasn't liking what I saw makeup/light wise. She took this quite well (she had been in a hurry with her makeup) and agreed with most of what I suggested. I really felt kind of terrible making suggestions at all.

She's going on a supposed professional shoot (I always am suspicious of these "free modeling interview/photos" types of places). So I'm anxious to hear what her impressions were.

Anyway I see I need to have a bunch of poses in mind before attempting this. I think with proper makeup and careful posing that the photos would come out better as she has a different, striking look to her.

Anyway, here's the only one I liked that I tried a bit of post processing work on.

63728716-M.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    I think you were right in letting her know that make-up, hair, etc. were not appropriate. If she is going to model, free or not, she needs to be prepared. I would also advise her, since she is a friend of your daughter's, to do an internet search on the agency she is getting these "free" photos from. There are lots of scams out there (some with well known agency names) that prey on young girls. Anyway......back to your photo......she does have an interesting face and it's unfortunate you were only able to process only one. Hope you have more? It does help to have poses in mind before a model shows up, especially inexperienced ones like her. It's good practice for both the model and the photographer however!!!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Thanks Saurora
    saurora wrote:
    I think you were right in letting her know that make-up, hair, etc. were not appropriate. If she is going to model, free or not, she needs to be prepared. I would also advise her, since she is a friend of your daughter's, to do an internet search on the agency she is getting these "free" photos from. There are lots of scams out there (some with well known agency names) that prey on young girls. Anyway......back to your photo......she does have an interesting face and it's unfortunate you were only able to process only one. Hope you have more? It does help to have poses in mind before a model shows up, especially inexperienced ones like her. It's good practice for both the model and the photographer however!!!

I have maybe 2 or 3 more I like... I'm anxious to hear how the photo shoot went and whether or not it was on the up and up. If they think she has potential and she needs head shots, maybe I can take them for her. I've actually researched a few of those. Some of them are excellent.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I've taken portraits of people before. But this is the first time an aspiring model was available to me to photograph. Plus, I wanted to test out my new SunPak 383 flash (I need a LOT of practice!!!).

This is one shot I took in late afternoon natural light. I told the model (a friend of my daughter's) that she really needed to chose better makeup and clothing colors, do something with her hair and not to exaggerate some poses. While she wasn't awkward, she didn't know what to do, and I wasn't liking what I saw makeup/light wise. She took this quite well (she had been in a hurry with her makeup) and agreed with most of what I suggested. I really felt kind of terrible making suggestions at all.

She's going on a supposed professional shoot (I always am suspicious of these "free modeling interview/photos" types of places). So I'm anxious to hear what her impressions were.

Anyway I see I need to have a bunch of poses in mind before attempting this. I think with proper makeup and careful posing that the photos would come out better as she has a different, striking look to her.

Anyway, here's the only one I liked that I tried a bit of post processing work on.

63728716-M.jpg
    Priviet, Dee!
    I think that taking into consideration her eyes, the 'en face' is not the best pose.
    1.I'd try 3/4 or 1/2 head turn with 'smaller' eye closer to the camera (1 variant) and vice versa (bigger eye closer).
    2.I'd choose another point of shooting - a bit higher (to make her eyes more open).
    Yuri
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Thanks Yuri
    Priviet, Dee!
    I think that taking into consideration her eyes, the 'en face' is not the best pose.
    1.I'd try 3/4 or 1/2 head turn with 'smaller' eye closer to the camera (1 variant) and vice versa (bigger eye closer).
    2.I'd choose another point of shooting - a bit higher (to make her eyes more open).
    Yuri

for the suggestions! Much appreciated from the master!:):

She has this bad habit of raising only one eyebrow :): (which she's aware of, only after the fact) I'll have to study my other photos to check if her left eye is the smaller one or not.