vacancy

nateeboy68nateeboy68 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited April 17, 2006 in Holy Macro
Taken while in Louisiana. Flood damage. What do you think?
PS. how do you guys edit your pics to be less than 146kb and still look sharp? I turned the quality of jpeg down on this photo and it looks grainy as a result

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Hi there Nateeboy68
    nateeboy68 wrote:
    Taken while in Louisiana. Flood damage. What do you think?
    PS. how do you guys edit your pics to be less than 146kb and still look sharp? I turned the quality of jpeg down on this photo and it looks grainy as a result

What program are you using?
    Some have a function called Save for the Net, others allow you to compress without using that function........tell us what it is that your doing to reduce the size.

Welcome to the forum :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • nateeboy68nateeboy68 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    I use Photoshop CS2. I use the image size to reduce the resolution. Then when I save it as a .Jpg it gives me the option to save it on a sliding quality scale of 1-12. I think this photo was about a 5 in order to bring it's size down. I'd appreciate any hints or tips on how to do it better.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 15, 2006
    nateeboy68 wrote:
    I use Photoshop CS2. I use the image size to reduce the resolution. Then when I save it as a .Jpg it gives me the option to save it on a sliding quality scale of 1-12. I think this photo was about a 5 in order to bring it's size down. I'd appreciate any hints or tips on how to do it better.
    I usually save at 8 and just let Smugmug do the downsizing from there. Never had any problems other than the ones I caused myself in PP. :D

Cheers,
    edited April 16, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I usually save at 8 and just let Smugmug do the downsizing from there. Never had any problems other than the ones I caused myself in PP. :D

Cheers,

Thanks for the input. I don't have a smugbug account, but I'll see if I can find other ways of downsizing my pics so quality won't totally be lost.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Save for Web
    Is what you should use... It does an amazing job. Don't save as jpg, etc.

Find the "save for web" and select that.

It opens up Image Ready.

Select 2 panes so you can see your original on one side and the suggested compression on the other side. You can choose high, low, medium compression, as well as change the number representing the compression to get exactly what you need for each photo.

However, be aware, it does strip the exif data...
    edited April 17, 2006
    Thanks!! that method does work a little more efficiently. It takes a little more time but it allows the resolution to remain higher.