Options

Thanks DGrin..you cost me $1000...

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited April 16, 2006 in Cameras
Yep, you saw that right..$1000.

See, I researched getting a dSLR when the new Rebel XT and Nikon D70/50 were made available. This was over a year ago. I already own a Canon Rebel Xs film camera and lens. My brother has a Nikon D100 and a handful of lenses. So the decision whether Canon or Nikon?

Borrowing lenses would be the cheap way to go and a good place to start, but that would be a pain since I live an hour away...eventually I would buy my own lenses. The real clincher was that I already had a Canon lens, and the Digital Rebel XT body was at a giveaway price on Dell. So thats what I went for.

I put the old lens on my Digital Rebel XT, and haven't looked back. I have been really delighted with the set up, and some photos haven't been too bad. Plus , I am remembering much from 20yrs ago and enjoying photography just as much again.

But then I found this place. I learned how to create some creative shots both in composition and post-processing. I learned about Photoshop, I learned much about my camera, and other cameras.

And I learned about lenses. Oh boy...was that a mistake.

You see, before I got here, I was patting myself on my back at how smart I was to get the XT body and use my old lens. What a cheap way into dSLR! When I bought the Rebel Xs back in 1991, I upgraded the lens from the kit to the new, super duper USM lens. So this was a good lens. But, I soon learned that the lens that made the 'brand' decision for me, this lens, a 35-80 USM (mkI), was a complete piece of cr@p. It is USM, but has a plastic lens adaptor (sure sign of junk). In fact, it is so old that finding ratings is very tough. This was very disappointing.

Having little to compare to, and reading all about these killer "L" lenses and great Sigma and Tokina lenses, I took the lead from many here, (and other places) and borrowed a lens from a friend. Not just any lens, but a 100-400L lens. Holy Cow Man!! While heavy and silly looking with my XT hanging off of it, it was a religious experience! The focus was incredibly fast, and it was built like a tank (weighed as much too).

So, last nite, as I sadly packed up the 100-400 L , I popped onto B&H. Before I knew what happened, I had dropped $1000+ on a 70-200 f/4 L, and a Sigma 10-20 HSM. Can't wait. Maybe a bit of "L" fever, not sure, but definitely "good lens" fever.

Curses to you all, I now have a disease: I must have more gear, I must take more photos. This place is like "Typhoid Mary", lots of carriers of this contagious disease. My wife exclaimed: "I thought you were done when you bought that new camera?" I sadly informed my wife that in fact I had just begun!!
:rofl

Oh and yes, I married a good girl, because as I placed my B&H order, she commented "when are you going to order those studio lights you were talking about?" I grinned and replied: lets wait till it gets cold this fall, when I take more photos indoors". (any advice on lights...HAHAHA!)

:lust

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Heheh.

That 70-200 is a sweet lens. I love it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Congrats - you'll enjoy those two lenses.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Welcome to the moneyhole, cmason!!

And good thing you got an agreeable wife!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    It's just like the definition of a boat. A hole in the water into which you pour money. But oh the joy, the pleasure.

Hmmm I'm really in trouble. I have 3 boats........

and a 20D on the way.

I'm really in trouble.

Congrats on the new lens purchases and your religious experience. Investing in quality lenses in a good thing.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    My wife exclaimed: "I thought you were done when you bought that new camera?" I sadly informed my wife that in fact I had just begun!!rolleyes1.gif
    I about died when I read this. I have had this same discussion with my wife so many times. She has pretty much laid down the law and said no more! Well, .... we'll see how long that lasts. I just got the Sigam 80-400 OS and I lust after the Canon 100-400Liloveyou.giflust

Thanks for a great post - it really made my afternoon.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    You will love the 70-200L! It was the first lens I bought for the Dreb with much grousing from Don:): We have went from NO MORE money to Don saying, you know kid your doing pretty good, you need more reach, get the 400clap.gifclapclap.gif. Yesterday after showing him the GBH shots he said, "kid your getting better but aren't quite there yet", hell I'll never be 'quite there yet'. Then he says you know you might need more reach one of these days..HUH 500????iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif NOW I'm starting to lean to primes, 35L, 135L, 200L it's a sickness and I need put out of my misery.
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Now all you need is to borrow a 24-105mm L unless you’re worried about a divorce

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    So, last nite, as I sadly packed up the 100-400 L , I popped onto B&H. Before I knew what happened, I had dropped $1000+ on a 70-200 f/4 L, and a Sigma 10-20 HSM. Can't wait. Maybe a bit of "L" fever, not sure, but definitely "good lens" fever.

Curses to you all, I now have a disease: I must have more gear, I must take more photos. This place is like "Typhoid Mary", lots of carriers of this contagious disease. My wife exclaimed: "I thought you were done when you bought that new camera?" I sadly informed my wife that in fact I had just begun!

That same fever is over on the West Coast as well!!! Fedex dropped off a package for me at work today (yipeee!) which included a new Canon 200mm f/2.8L II USM and a Canon 1.4x extender, oh...and an 85mm f/1.8 USM. I can't wait for the weekend!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Congrats... there is no cure either!

You want lights... check out the Alien Bees. I think they are top notch.

http://www.alienbees.com/
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Cleaning a black background so I can put my studio up this weekend:): ..3 white lightning 5000's, 2 backgrounds, 3 light stands and a boom arm....it will be up on the FM by Friday Night.......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Heheh.

That 70-200 is a sweet lens. I love it.

Right you are DavidTo!! I was on the fence btw this and the 70-300 IS USM, but once I got it in my feverish hands, I knew I made the right decision. I had held the 70-300 USM II before, so was delighted to find that the 70-200 L was not significantly bigger, and very manageable: no tripod ring required at all.

The Sigma is also extremely well built and whisper quiet. 10mm is a hoot! If anyone is into real estate (I am not)..this lens is a must. Taking pics of our house renovations is incredible.

Lets see...10lbs of stuff from B&H, wonder what that costs on the Spousal Equity Scale: new jewelry...clothes... What is the exchange rate? wonder if I can get away with $1 in gear = $1 in jewelry....wishful thinking
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Lets see...10lbs of stuff from B&H, wonder what that costs on the Spousal Equity Scale: new jewelry...clothes... What is the exchange rate? wonder if I can get away with $1 in gear = $1 in jewelry....wishful thinking

I think you're gonna have to go pound for pound...ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2006
    Welcome to the moneyhole, cmason!!

And good thing you got an agreeable wife!

-Matt-

Wise up guys and gals. It's very simple, open up a Paypal account (spouse does not need to know this) Then go to ebay and sell most of your spouse's treasured items. When they ask, "HOney, did you see where I put my rolex watch?" YOu can say, I don't know I don't wear the thing (except around my neck..hehe...your watch is now my 400L lens) B&H accept's Paypal.......there ya go.....If my wife asks me about this, I'll know it was one of you guys that spilled the beans.....and believe me, I know where ya post!! Laughing.gif........just kidding, that would be dishonest wouldn't it? Well, I'm asking the question!! clap.gif
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Hmmm being un-married I don't seem to have these problems that all of you speak of....

wait...

My girlfriend lives here and I have no "L" to speak of.....umph.gif

kc7dji

J-B wrote:
    Wise up guys and gals. It's very simple, open up a Paypal account (spouse does not need to know this) Then go to ebay and sell most of your spouse's treasured items. When they ask, "HOney, did you see where I put my rolex watch?" YOu can say, I don't know I don't wear the thing (except around my neck..hehe...your watch is now my 400L lens) B&H accept's Paypal.......there ya go.....If my wife asks me about this, I'll know it was one of you guys that spilled the beans.....and believe me, I know where ya post!! Laughing.gif........just kidding, that would be dishonest wouldn't it? Well, I'm asking the question!! clap.gif
  • Options
    dwvr_photographydwvr_photography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Oh and yes, I married a good girl, because as I placed my B&H order, she commented "when are you going to order those studio lights you were talking about?" I grinned and replied: lets wait till it gets cold this fall, when I take more photos indoors". (any advice on lights...HAHAHA!)

my old halogen spotties keep me warm in winter.. but it looks a little weird with lights shining at my feet under the desk.
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    If you think this board is bad, you really need to stay away from Fred Miranda's and Pekka Saarinen's sites. Thanks to them, I've dropped 7K in two years! :cry
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras