9980369-L.jpg

9983005-L.jpg

9983618-L.jpg

more in my "trip into fall" gallery at moon river photography

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    I was shooting landscapes last tues night. I took this picture to show you what our fall was looking like. I swear there was ragweed and all on this path. It is a path at Magnolia Gardens, birds, marsh, (landscapes), the water goes into the Ashley river.

I worked the landscapes up until 3 in the morning Tues/Wed, woke up Wed morning to find a very unhappy husband unable to turn the computer on, wouldn't boot at all. I had not been able to post this. I was out there by myself til after dark. I made Bill talk to me on the cell phone all the way back to my car, was scared to death again. Beautiful sunset. The Birds were roosting. JUst wonderful, but getting back through the wooded area with no one around and no lights, that was something else.

This is our fall. The green looks a little "greener" on my daughter's monitor.
    Anyway, wanted to share. g:D
    9784770-L.jpg

Walking up the path, shooting to my left, more fall colors. Also a bit of evening is creeping in. I can see the evening colors. The brown of the marsh grass and all is autumn in the low country. I took fall pictures from the train today. Don't think they worked through the windows. The leaves are just starting to turn here now. They were further along last year at this time. I don't have a thing to upload my photos to Sara's computer, and I think they should be on my hard drive anyway. g again. (I was so glad these photos were safe on smugmug.)

9786558-L.jpg
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    9980369-S.jpg

more in my "trip into fall" gallery at moon river photography
    It is very rare that I will say this about one of yours but this just does not do it for me. Would like to see this without post.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    9983618-S.jpg
    This one really speaks to fall. Colors, boat out of the water
    for winter, etc. All three are nice shots.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    It is very rare that I will say this about one of yours but this just does not do it for me. Would like to see this without post.

heya charles - thanks for the comment. i brought this pic up from this:

9988449-L.jpg

developed three exposures in raw, ran a velvia action. then i gaussian blurred the water. i think the water blur is a bit ott, maybe that's what's bugging you? the last two days have been horrible light-wise, and the wind has been really strong :cry
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    Andy, it was the water, in particular that was bothering me. I would cut the water back on the blur, put some of the color back in the trees, and I think it would be better.

I found another shot of my landscape walkway. Actually it was the one I was looking for...........all the sneezing ragweed. Real southern autumn. (I only have what is on Smugmug)

g

9786552-L.jpg
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    heya charles - thanks for the comment. i brought this pic up from this:

9988449-S.jpg

developed three exposures in raw, ran a velvia action. then i gaussian blurred the water. i think the water blur is a bit ott, maybe that's what's bugging you? the last two days have been horrible light-wise, and the wind has been really strong :cry
    Yep... that's it. The color enhancement is pretty good but the blur is definitely ott... makes the trees look over sharpened. Just my take ....
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Yep... that's it. The color enhancement is pretty good but the blur is definitely ott... makes the trees look over sharpened. Just my take ....
    I have to agree, the GB on the H2O is OTT.:D
    The leaves down here in south Georgia are still green, green, green.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    The leaves here in northwest ohio are brown and on the ground.

4 days of high wind and heavy rain have about stripped them bare

umph.gif

cool having a smiley named after you wxwax ?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    Yeah, Andy, it's the blurry water. Amazing you got what you did out of it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, Andy, it's the blurry water. Amazing you got what you did out of it.

i really was thinking max dynamic range, and to see what could come out of the negative. actually, the shot's not half bad without the blurry water. i'm impressed as hell with canon raw. the key, of course, is to not overexpose anything.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i really was thinking max dynamic range, and to see what could come out of the negative. actually, the shot's not half bad without the blurry water. i'm impressed as hell with canon raw. the key, of course, is to not overexpose anything.
    Yeah, I figured that. Kind of like slides in the old days. What is blown is gone.

As opposed to negatives which you did not want to underexpose (in the old days). (A diversion, just what I have related to and thought about)

With digital it is better to underexpose, never blow highlights, not if you want them.

I noticed at one point you were underexposing in the daytime, Andy. A neg EC, so I started that, I find it to be a good thing.

ginger

(Not that it is important, but your water has always, usually, had the ultra smooth effect on it, sometimes bothers me even at night.)
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    I spent the weekend in the forest with two of my friends and a rogue chipmonk. Sleeping in a rustic (very) cabin and hiking each day. This was the color of my weekend... it was very moving indeed, soul food :D
    10019369-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    lynnie - this is gorgeous!
    lynnma wrote:
    I spent the weekend in the forest with two of my friends and a rogue chipmonk. Sleeping in a rustic (very) cabin and hiking each day. This was the color of my weekend... it was very moving indeed, soul food :D
    10019369-S.jpg

super shot, lynne!
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Beautiful!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    Thankyou oh guru one, and thankyou Nir. The colors were .... spectacular, difficult to catch. This is the rogue....terrible shot but he deserves to be recognized purely for the amount of sunflower seeds he managed to move from our window sill....
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lynn, that is the prettiest "green" shot I have ever seen you do.:D

As a matter of fact, it is just about, if not the best, best fall color shot I have seen.

g

have rough housing kids to photograph, big smile. g again
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynn, that is the prettiest "green" shot I have ever seen you do.:D

As a matter of fact, it is just about, if not the best, best fall color shot I have seen.

g

have rough housing kids to photograph, big smile. g again
    thanks Ginger.. this was another from my weekend..

10040625-L.jpg
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    Lynn, they are both wonderful, but I like the 1st one most of all. thumb.gif

I just realized was up in your neck of the woods last weekend at Red Apple Farm. It's not quite peak there yet, huh? This week and next should be really great, can't wait to see what you shoot.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    lynne: two words....
    lynnma wrote:
    thanks Ginger.. this was another from my weekend..

10040625-S.jpg

su-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    Last one... before you die of boredom...

10042267-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    This was right on the road to Red Apple Farm. I have no idea how to fix the blown out canoe...umph.gif

10042355-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    This was right on the road to Red Apple Farm. I have no idea how to fix the blown out canoe...umph.gif
    10042355-S.jpg
    You could maybe try duplicating the layer toning down the bottom layer somewhat and then erasing the top layer just over the canoe and reflection...worth a try.. others will probably have better solutions..
    Lovely shot by the way :D
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    help for dj's canoe
    DJ-S1 wrote:

10042355-L.jpg

this was easy:

1. dupe the layer (ctrl-j)
    2. set blend to multiply
    3. add a layer mask
    4. mask away the overlay effect for all but the canoe (100%) and the hotspots on the water (50%), rock (50%) and canoe reflection (25%)
    5. this wasn't enough, so flatten, and then grab your burn tool, this sucked eggs because it makes it a barfy color and no detail
    6. get yer eyedropper, pick the color of the canoe (bluish)
    7. get a soft brush, size it, 50% opacity
    8. paint away.

10043105-L.jpg

have fun lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    andy wrote:
    this was easy:

1. dupe the layer (ctrl-j)
    2. set blend to multiply
    3. add a layer mask
    4. mask away the overlay effect for all but the canoe (100%) and the hotspots on the water (50%), rock (50%) and canoe reflection (25%)
    5. this wasn't enough, so flatten, and then grab your burn tool, this sucked eggs because it makes it a barfy color and no detail
    6. get yer eyedropper, pick the color of the canoe (bluish)
    7. get a soft brush, size it, 50% opacity
    8. paint away.

have fun lol3.gif
    Hey Andy!! thanks!! I needed this..:D Lynnie 1drink.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    Nice shots Lynnma. I dont have my good monitor and I know this one is messes up so I haven't been commenting on photos I cant see right. I know these look pretty good.

Cant wait to see the colors correctly when my other monitor is out of the shop.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2004
    "That was easy". Sheesh. rolleyes1.gif

That looks great, thank you Andy! I don't use overlays much with the other blending options like multiply, just one more thing to get down pat I guess. Maybe I can save some more shots using techniques like this. At least until I can get a camera that shoots in raw! thumb.gif