High School Track

AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited April 11, 2006 in Sports
I was out shooting a high school track meet for my school today. I think I got some alright shots, but man are things ever crazy there. I was trying to cover 3 events at the same time :huh

What do you think about these?

Comments

• AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    edited April 10, 2006
  • blobblob Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    I like these, but I suggest you should straighten your horizon. On image number 3, for instance, you've turned the steeplechase into an uphill cross-country race :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 10, 2006
    I think you did well. Horizons (but you knew that) and maybe more faces.
    Also, what gear were you shooting with? On some events, you might step a
    bit farther back and use a longer lens and wide aperture for a little background
    blur.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited April 11, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I think you did well. Horizons (but you knew that) and maybe more faces.
    Also, what gear were you shooting with? On some events, you might step a
    bit farther back and use a longer lens and wide aperture for a little background
    blur.

I was using a Nikon D50 with a 28-200 lens. I was shooting about as wide as I could get with the light (sun was going down) plus f/5.6 is the widest I can get at 200 so i'm not sure I can get the nice blurred backgrounds. I really want the 70-200 f/2.8 but at $1600 i can't really afford it :cry
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    blob wrote:
    I like these, but I suggest you should straighten your horizon. On image number 3, for instance, you've turned the steeplechase into an uphill cross-country race :D
    Look closely at the track -- horizon is level. Its the background that is not level (i.e. the background is a rising hill).
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ingramimagesingramimages Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    #2 - the high jump. Might also be interesting to align yourself with the horizontal bar and shoot strait down it. This gets more interesting in the later rounds with the bar is higher and they're just barely slinking over it.
    "All the art in my work dwells in the subjects; it's all theirs. It's not made up by me; I ain't that smart."