30D and 20D owners...any noticable difference in autofocus accuracy???

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited April 15, 2006 in Cameras
The weekend of the 21,22,23 I have 3 weddings Fri, Sat, Sun bambambam. I've been freaking out because up untill now I have been lugging a Hasselblad around as a backup camera. Well the Hasselblad had to go back, so I was left with no backup, and a 20D with 12k+ accuations. I know there are some people who don't have backups and shoot weddings, but that isn't me. So I just ordered a 30D from my beloved Newegg.com. $1398 + 89.99 2 year ADP service plan, 5.99 shipping put on my Newegg preferred account with no payments for 6 months, more than enough time to pay it off. I could get it cheaper, but with the 6 month deal it was hard to beat, and Newegg is great. I completed the order at 11 am EST, with my newly applied for account, it was approved in 10 minutes and on a UPS truck by 2pm. It took off from Cali. at 11:30 EST. I've bought other stuff from Newegg and I can not recommend them highly enough. So now I have to wait for my new toy. I think the best advantages over my 20D in order of importance to me are, Big screen, 1/3 stop ISO, spot metering. I have seen in the white paper that it hinted at the AF being tweeked somewhat, can anyone verify that with real side by side comparison? I think the AF of the 20D is good, but I'm not totally thrilled with it. I found shooting wide open with the 85 f1.8 that it wasn't always accurate, and suffered rarely but noticeably from backfocus with all of my lenses. I also found that aquisition with the extreme left and right FP could be squirrely more so than the center in fairly low light (like church lighting). I went around and around with which camera to buy and I'm glad I settled (and the wife approved) the 30D, because I would really feel like a tool shooting a wedding with a Dreb XT (even as a backup) and the 20D selling new at 1100 is just a no brainer for the 30D. When I ran it by my wife she actually said 'Well if you were planning on buying the 5D eventually anyway, why not just go for it now". I was in shock, but I can't swing 5D + 24-70L in the same year, and the next Canon body I go for will be a 1 series, the 5D is nice but if I'm going to pay all out pro price for a camera I want all out pro support from Canon. But I ramble....So during my unbearable 2 day wait, anyone care to weigh in on 30D AF improvements?

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    When I was trying to photograph a Painted Redstart Saturday morning another photog came up with a 30D and 100-400 and after awhile chatting he was praising the spot metering. The LCD on the back is gigantic. You could probably watch a DVD on it :)

He was really happy with it but didn't think the AF was different from the 20D. But people use the same bodies for very different things so AF effectiveness could vary greatly.

Congrats on back to back to back weddings. Guess you will be editing for a week after that :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I have both the 20D and the 30D. After using it for a week and a half, I can say that without a doubt the 30D aquires and locks autofocus quicker and more accurately than my 20D.

Jack
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I have both the 20D and the 30D. After using it for a week and a half, I can say that without a doubt the 30D aquires and locks autofocus quicker and more accurately than my 20D.

Jack

SWEET...Thanks for responding...UPS says mine is in Phila so I MAY get it tomorrow *crosses fingers* The thing I look forward to the most is shooting with my 20D for personal use without worrying about racking the shutter cycle up on the primary camera. Almost everyone I know who is a working pro has felt the "Once I started getting paid for this, I lost interest in doing it for fun" feeling, and I REALLY hated that feeling. I still shot for fun, but much less, and usually on film. Now that I have a 12k accuation 20D as a backup I almost feel carefree.
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    SWEET...Thanks for responding...UPS says mine is in Phila so I MAY get it tomorrow *crosses fingers* The thing I look forward to the most is shooting with my 20D for personal use without worrying about racking the shutter cycle up on the primary camera. Almost everyone I know who is a working pro has felt the "Once I started getting paid for this, I lost interest in doing it for fun" feeling, and I REALLY hated that feeling. I still shot for fun, but much less, and usually on film. Now that I have a 12k accuation 20D as a backup I almost feel carefree.

You're welcome.
    We (my wife and I) were out a few days ago at a place where there are lots of great photo ops. It's a restored plantation near Charleston, SC. Gardens, river and a section called the Audubon Swamp Garden. The swamp has a rookery with dozens and dozens of egrets and herons that are nesting right now, along with other species. We've been there a couple of times recently, and I was using my new 300f/2.8L IS+2xTC. A lens at that FC takes a LOT of practice. With my 20D, I got some nice shots, but not very many. I chalked that up to my inexperience with the lens/TC combo. With the 30D, I got a LOT of shots that I'm quite happy with, considering that I still need more practice with the lens. I'm VERY pleased with the 30D, and now I have a great backup with the 20D.
    Also, I've read quite a few posts on various photo forums from people who have/had the 20D and bought the 30D. Most are experiencing the same as me; improved autofocus.
    Here's a shot with the 30D+300f/2.8L IS+2xTC on a monopod from the other day.
    I'm no pro, and in more skilled hands photography wise and post processing wise, this would be much better. But for *me*, this is a pretty good shot, one that I couldn't quite get with the 20D.
    56K warning: large file.
    http://www.pbase.com/jacksmyname/image/58505672/original

Jack
  • J-BJ-B Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2006

Jack

I agree totally. The 30D is definetly faster and more accurate than my 20D