help with returns and/or reprints

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited April 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Johno here, I just received an email from a client who said the photo he received was a couple shades to dark... I have read the trouble shooting for pro members and see that smugmug offers to replace or reprint photos.

Question: Do I, the pro user email smugmug?
OR
Do I give the email to the client to email smugmug?

I have looked at the photo and the levels are not crazy dark. I have not seen the pics so I am not sure what they look like.

the photo can be found here

Also, if you refund the money, do you refund me or the person who bought the pic? Example, my cost or the cost the client paid?

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    johno wrote:
    Johno here, I just received an email from a client who said the photo he received was a couple shades to dark... I have read the trouble shooting for pro members and see that smugmug offers to replace or reprint photos.

Question: Do I, the pro user email smugmug?
    OR
    Do I give the email to the client to email smugmug?

I have looked at the photo and the levels are not crazy dark. I have not seen the pics so I am not sure what they look like.

the photo can be found here

Also, if you refund the money, do you refund me or the person who bought the pic? Example, my cost or the cost the client paid?

peace.
    johno~

Hi John,

Indeed we do have the SmugMug Guarantee so you're covered for reprints OR refund, your choice.

Who made the order? You or the client? I see in the case of this order, your client placed it. So, the best is to email the help desk and give us the order number, and state the problem (prints too dark). I'll handle the situation for you (or your client) quickly and with style, and then, if it was your client who emailed us, after taking care of them, I follow up with an email to you telling you what I did, and usually, how I did it, so you can have better photos for sale :D

So this photo of yours:

original file
    61614442-M.jpg

adjusted file
    63977071-M-3.jpg

is indeed, dark. Why? The reason is twofold: 1) the file's not tagged sRGB - it's got an untagged RGB marker - so I'd like to know what post processing you are doing and let's get that sorted - so that your files get tagged sRGB always. 2) you've got harsh shadows, not much you can do about that at shoot, but in post, a new layer and some shadow/highlight adjustment in PS CS2, followed by a bit of curves adjustment to expand the tonal range, and voila, a much better print that your customer will be thrilled with thumb.gif

Finally - since the order printed at True Color, not Auto Color (pro carts default to True), there was no exposure adjustment done at time of print.

So, I've already handled this reprint request, and a new order is on the way to your customer! By the way, you didn't ask, but I did the same treatment to the other photo in that order, also dark, and fired off a new print of that, too.

Similar experiences:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2006/03/04/pop-this/
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2005/12/07/whos-minding-the-store/

I hope this helps!

All the best,
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Thanks Andy, your the best.

This whole process is new and a learning experience.

As far as post work, that may be a problem... I just uploaded them in iphoto and used the smugmug uploader with no post work. I see this is part of the learning curve. I will check all levels in PS from now on before posting.

I do have two other orders that were placed yesterday and I feel as if they will have a dark exposure problem also. Could you check them out please?

order #113296 and 113498

thanks Andy.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited April 11, 2006
    BTW, Andy, I don't want SM to lose out. If you need to charge ME for this, please do so.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited April 11, 2006
    johno wrote:

As far as post work, that may be a problem... I just uploaded them in iphoto and used the smugmug uploader with no post work. I see this is part of the learning curve. I will check all levels in PS from now on before posting.

John, if you're going to be pro, you'll need some pro tools. iPhoto won't cut it, for the most part. PS Elements at a minimum, even better full Photoshop. But there are many ways to skin that cat.

For starters, set your galleries to "Auto" color default - not True. Auto will work to bring up the shadows on your shots. Keep it this way until you're comfortable with new in-post routines.

johno wrote:
    BTW, Andy, I don't want SM to lose out. If you need to charge ME for this, please do so.

peace.
    johno~

thumb.gif thanks but there's no charge for the SmugMug Guarantee!
    johno wrote:
    I do have two other orders that were placed yesterday and I feel as if they will have a dark exposure problem also. Could you check them out please?

order #113296 and 113498

thanks Andy.

peace.
    johno~

113296 already shipped, printed Auto. 113498 not shipped yet, set for Auto. FUP with the customers and then we'll talk. Email us at the help desk if you need reprints.
    edited April 11, 2006
    Got it! Sports galleries set to auto.

Working hard on this end... Thanks for working harder on your end. It's nice to have a company that helps make a client look good.

Smugmug for life!:D

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited April 11, 2006
    johno wrote:
    Got it! Sports galleries set to auto.

Working hard on this end... Thanks for working harder on your end. It's nice to have a company that helps make a client look good.

Smugmug for life!:D

peace.
    johno~

Great! Shout it from the rooftops! Well, okay.. at least blog about it, tell your friends, post in other forums, tell the newspaper, etc etc :D
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    If you don't want to shell for full PS CS2, you might want to try a combination of PS Elements (which came with your camera if you shoot canon) and RawShooter Premium (or Essentials, though I like premium even if Essentials is free) from www.pixmantec.com if you shoot RAW.
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    johno wrote:

order #113296 and 113498

thanks Andy.

peace.
    johno~

For consistent results, try to calibrate and soft-proof:

- Use software and just your eyes to calibrate your monitor (by using Adobe Gamma, for example).
    - Or use hardware to calibrate your monitor (Spyder, Eye One, etc.)
    - Download the ezprints.icc printer-profile for soft-proofing (you can find this file on smugmug). Then setup your soft-proofing using this profile. More info can be found in the pro-help pages on smugmug.com (and on the rest of the Internet :D).

You'll be surprised how much darker your pics could look on print than on your monitor. Soft-proofing may prevent the surprise :D
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com