How about this camera?

spx500spx500 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 11, 2006 in Cameras
RFID Zapper

Why Some People Put These Credit Cards In the Microwave (Wall Street Journal, subscription required)

... Some techies in Germany figured out how to make a Zapper by modifying a disposable camera. When you hit the switch, instead of taking a picture, it emits a burst of electromagnetic energy that fries any nearby electronics. They have posted an extensive description of their project on the Internet. Several technology experts contacted say it should work, but the developers did not respond to emails requesting comment. ...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    spx500 wrote:
    RFID Zapper

Why Some People Put These Credit Cards In the Microwave (Wall Street Journal, subscription required)

... Some techies in Germany figured out how to make a Zapper by modifying a disposable camera. When you hit the switch, instead of taking a picture, it emits a burst of electromagnetic energy that fries any nearby electronics. They have posted an extensive description of their project on the Internet. Several technology experts contacted say it should work, but the developers did not respond to emails requesting comment. ...

Any small e-flash will work. The trick is the amount of insulation required for the coil. Alternately, static electricity would probably work as well, with the same caveats for electronic equipment and magnetic media.

The flash circuits are not designed for this type of discharge, and the same discharge that does the deed to the RFID chips could also affect the flash circuits themselves, if not properly positioned.

Another way to render RFID useless is to surround the RFID chips, or packaging, with foil or conductive wrap. This is a potential problem with the technology that the RFID consortium would reather not deal with, or address. Have you ever tried using radio/TV rabbit-ears antennae in a house with metal siding? It's the same concept.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:

Another way to render RFID useless is to surround the RFID chips, or packaging, with foil or conductive wrap. This is a potential problem with the technology that the RFID consortium would reather not deal with, or address. Have you ever tried using radio/TV rabbit-ears antennae in a house with metal siding? It's the same concept.

ziggy53
    My knowledge of this area is very limited, but I seem to remember in High School being told this was something called a Faraday cage. One of their properties is to exclude the transmission of RF signals.

Did I get it right?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    My knowledge of this area is very limited, but I seem to remember in High School being told this was something called a Faraday cage. One of their properties is to exclude the transmission of RF signals.

Did I get it right?

Scott,

You have a mind, "like a steel trap", and I have no idea why people say that but it doesn't matter.:): (... and it sounds better than, "like an elephant" which might be more appropriate.)

At any rate, you are so right! What do we have for this contestant, Bob? (Hey boss, we ran out of presents two seasons ago.)

I'm sorry Scott, we don't seem to have anything right now, but we'll call you.

(See what happens during sleep deprivation?):uhoh

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums