galleries linked to Community loosing customization

dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited April 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
A group I belong too recently created a Community called San Diego DSLR and invited its fellow smugmug users to add galleries to it.

Cool, this was the first time to use Communities for me. I added two galleries (via Customize Gallery function). I didn't know what the appearance radio button (smugmug vs community) was, so I left it on the default: community.

When I clicked on my galleries in the community, I viewed my galleries complete with my customization (ie Journal Large). No problem. I added another one later in the day, still no problem, my galleries displayed in Journal Large (as I call it).

Today..... it is different :dunno I didn't change anything, but I clicked on my galleries in the community, and it displayed in standard Journal, not my customized one. I tried both Appearance options on the Customize Gallery screen but didn't notice any difference.

Quail Botanical Gardens
Carlsbad Birds

Here is a gallery NOT linked to the community... it uses my customized Journal style:
Laguna Beach

Now if I click on the these galleries in MY SITE, I still can't view it with my customizations. All my other galleries work fine, except for the two I put on the community.

Bottom line: it appears I can no longer view my galleries with my customization as long as it is linked to this Community :wxwax

Is it possible that the owner of the community changed something overnight to affect my galleries... I notice that the breadcrumb trail for the galleries I put on the community are rooted with the Community name, even when I am viewing the gallery from My site... I better stop here, I'm gonna confuse everyone... cus I am confused. :scratch

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 11, 2006
    dmc wrote:

Is it possible that the owner of the community changed something overnight to affect my galleries...

Yes. The manager of the community can choose to have the entire community use his or her cobranding. Of course, this only applies to galleries that you choose to be part of that community.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    Yes. The manager of the community can choose to have the entire community use his or her cobranding. Of course, this only applies to galleries that you choose to be part of that community.

If he did this, then that also means I can not view MY galleries from MY site with My customizations anymore if they are part of the Community?
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 11, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    If he did this, then that also means I can not view MY galleries from MY site with My customizations anymore if they are part of the Community?
    Correct. As long as the gallery is part of the community and the community is stripping your cobranding for it, that's how the gallery will be viewed. We can't easily just determine if someone initiates browsing at your site or through the community and then cobrand the gallery on the fly accordingly.

You do have a couple of options though. First, you might want to contact the community manager and explain the situation. Since that particular community doesn't have much in the way of its own cobranding, the manager might decide to give that option back to you. For a community like Military, it's really nice to click through photos and not have vastly contrasting pages all over.

Second, you could just duplicate your gallery and have one specifically for the community and another with your cobranding.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    Sadly yes. Inform the community owner and ask him if he can change this setting.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero