Options

PS 7.0 vs PS CS2

Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
edited April 13, 2006 in Finishing School
I'm currently using a legal copy of Photo Shop 7.0 and like to know the benefits of upgrading/changing to Photo Shop CS2?

I shoot only Nikon RAW = NEF

One benefit I really consider is the use of scrips but...what else?

Dick.
"Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
Website.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    D200-D70 wrote:
    I'm currently using a legal copy of Photo Shop 7.0 and like to know the benefits of upgrading/changing to Photo Shop CS2?

Dick.
    I didn't even begin to use the full power of PS7 and the same is true of CS2. Still, there are a few useful tools in the latter that really come in handy. Shadows/highlights lets gives you independant, slider-based control of levels in the darkest and brightest ranges. Surface blur lets you get rid of noise without softening edges. The spot healing brush works better. There is also a smart sharpen filter that helps control bright and dark halos better than USM. I'm sure others will point out additional features, but these are the ones that I use the most.

Cheers,
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    In addition to what rsinmadrid mentioned about shadows/highlights and smart sharpen, I use both the vanishing point (3D) and HDR (the combining of multiple exposures of the same scene ... e.g., over to under exposed ... to produce a single expanded range photo with no loss of detail) features.

The new spot healing tool is useful, and the automatic red eye tool is outstanding. I have also found smart objects (non destructive scaling, etc.) to be somewhat useful. Finally, I have truly appreciated the extensive RAW support with Camera RAW. For me at least, PS7 works and works well ... but CS2 does it far easier, faster, and, IMHO, with a touch of class.

To me, it was well worth the upgrade price of US$150 at Sams Club last year.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Here is one way to look at it. If you stayed with Photoshop 7 and tried to buy plug-ins to catch up to what's in CS2...
    • a powerful file browser (Bridge)
    • a powerful raw converter (Camera Raw) integrated with Bridge via bulk automation & Image Processor
    • noise reduction
    • smart sharpening
    • lens distortion removal
    • shadow/highlight control (NOT same as Levels/Curves)
    • easier spot removal (healing tools)
    • smart objects integrated with RAW

etc.,

Even if you didn't need all of those, in some cases you would outspend the Photoshop upgrade price if you only bought two plug-ins or apps to try and match CS2. In that sense, CS2 is an easy bargain.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    D200-D70 wrote:

Dick.

If you shoot NEF then you can use the RAW converter that comes with CS2... Adobe Camera RAW. Otherwise, you have to pay for one that works with PS 7 (if you can still get it) or run everything through Nikon Capture first.

Slam dunk... spend the $150 and upgrade to CS2 if you shoot RAW. Game over, man.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I noticed CS2 is a bit of a resources hog. CS runs fine on my machine, but CS2 really bogs down. Something to think about. It might speed up your next machine acquisition.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I think people over rate some features of CS2.

Photo Mechanic is a lot better than Bridge.

ACR is very nice but is not the best raw converter in some opinions. I use it because I have full integration into PS and PM.

I have a bunch of actions which work in 7, CS, CS2 that I use more than built in functionality like a LAB Sharpen.

The only functions I use regularly is clone, select, crop, IPTC editing, File Info editing, Curves, and Levels. Automatic editing, color correction, etc... built in options are not always best for each image.

CS will most likely meet all of your needs.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Thank you all very much guys, you're all very helpful. I just downloaded the trial to make sure that this is the right product.
    Some features mentioned sound very nice and strong.

Dick.
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    yukiyubiyukiyubi Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    To be honest, I noticed a large difference between 5 and 7, but I use CS2 now, and I could switch back to 7 without noticing.
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Something else to consider is future use of the PS series. I had read a few different times that PS7 is the last version you can upgrade for the $150 (or so) price tag. Any versions previous to this ...it sounded like you have to buy the full blow version (several hundred bucks). So...if you don't upgrade NOW you probably will be stuck buying the whole program again if you decide to upgrade at a later date. Adobe's Illustrator is the same way...I'm going to upgrade that just to stay up in the progression. You never know when that "next" version has the golden egg you can't live without..and you may not be able to upgrade if your version is not current enough.

Cheers
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Had this same conversation about upgrading last nite with a few friends.
    On the Adobe site:

http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml;store?id=catPhotoshopUpgrade

Adobe Photoshop CS2 Upgrade

To install this upgrade successfully, you will need a licensed version of any version of Adobe Photoshop, on the same platform as this purchase.

NOTE:This upgrade does not apply to Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe licensed users. $169.00

Birdman is right though, I've seen other software not allow upgrades of older versions. Best be gettin while the gettin is good.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I don't know how many plugins (filters) you have for PS7...but I have kept a copy of 7 on my computer cause I have around 2000 plugins for it that will not work with my CS.....some of the plug in authors did not upgrade...plus taht is one heck of a lot of money for plug ins...I mean I could almost take care of the federal defecit with what I have invested in plug ins and some of them I have not even used....but I got'em just in case i see a use for'em:D .
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Thanks to you all guys for your replies.
    I did play around with the trial version to see if I can justify the $168.00 upgrade-cost. Hmmm...I guess I have to play some more...

I think, considering all your advices, that it's still wise to upgrade. You never know what the future brings for nice stuff.

Dick.
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.