Just got brand new 17-40 f/4 L

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited April 12, 2006 in Cameras
Well I finally entered the world of the L glass. And can I just say :jawdrop

I took a series of shots planning on comparing the two lenses but I didn't get past the 100% crop of a shot done at f/4. Check this out:

The 17-85 EF-S IS at f/4 in the top right corner 100% crop:
64054213-O.jpg

The 17-40 f/4 L same position in the frame, 100% crop f/4:
64054220-O.jpg

Those are both striaght from the camera jpgs. Look at how much more detail there is in the 17-40:wow Plus notice how dramatically reduced the purple fringing is in the 17-40 shot.

So anyhow, I just wanted to share that. If you're looking for a fantastic lens at a very reasonable price get the 17-40. You can get it from b&h for $629 by searching psmar and you can get a $50 rebate from canon too. So for $579 you can get the 17-40L. The 17-85 is $509, you may as well spend the extra $70!
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Well I finally entered the world of the L glass. And can I just say :jawdrop

I took a series of shots planning on comparing the two lenses but I didn't get past the 100% crop of a shot done at f/4. Check this out:

Those are both striaght from the camera jpgs. Look at how much more detail there is in the 17-40:wow Plus notice how dramatically reduced the purple fringing is in the 17-40 shot.

So anyhow, I just wanted to share that. If you're looking for a fantastic lens at a very reasonable price get the 17-40. You can get it from b&h for $629 by searching psmar and you can get a $50 rebate from canon too. So for $579 you can get the 17-40L. The 17-85 is $509, you may as well spend the extra $70!
    K - I'm gonna walk to the store now and pick one up for me.... Trick will be getting past the wife in the living room... Anybody have a sweet accessory for that?

Awesome clarity - I only have on 'L' and I was equally amazed on my first shoot.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I just got one from B&H last week and did the same thing you did with the rebates. I've only used it a couple times so far but I am very pleased with it. I'm going to Starved Rock on Friday as long as it doesn't rain so hopefully I'm really get to use it there.

Now you do realize that since you have one L it will be lonely now so you have to keep buying more so it has friends mwink.gif. Congrats on the new glass!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    You'll have a lot of fun with your new lens. I got mine about a month ago. Hasn't been off my camera since.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Well I finally entered the world of the L glass. And can I just say :jawdrop!
    I've had mine for awhile now, and I love it!iloveyou.gif The first time I shot outside, with blue skies, I thought I had a polarizer on it...fantastic!thumb.gif Enjoy.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Congrats Mike. New lenses are so much fun. I don't know much about the 17-85 aside from seeing quite few in the field. I am not surprised at how much more detail there is since the 17-40 is very well talked about, I am surprised at how much CA in a new design lens and how much less it appears to resolve. the 17-40 must have better contrast as well to pick up those tiny branches.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Remember that using the 17-40 (full frame lens) on a crop camera, of course it'll be better - you're only using the sweet spot. The 17-85 is an EF-S lens using the entire smaller imaging circle, so IQ will suffer. The 17-85 (minus the IS hardware of course) and giving away IQ to get about twice the zoom range makes sense that it's about half the price. All that being said, congrats - I want one too. thumb.gif One of each actually. The 17-40 I can't see as being quite as good for a travel solution.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Friend of mine debated the 17-85 and the 17-40 for a long time (reach against quality) and he's mighty glad he went with the 17-40 in the end. He uses it as his walk around lens, and is very pleased. He came from a 28-135 IS, so at first he wondered if the lack of range would be limiting him. But that was nothing a 4.0 70-200L couldn't cure. Together with a cheap 50 1.8 that makes an awesome set. I'm sure Red Bull would agree. ;) Congrats, Mike, on your purchase.

In response to TristanP: I just believe that the 17-85 is nice as a kit lens, but that's about it. And don't blame the smaller image circle. Good image quality can be offered by small image circle lenses as well. Take a look at the Digital Zuiko range by Olympus. Then again, that system was built to deal with the specifics of digital imaging in mind. And it has other disadvantages.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 12, 2006
    Mike,

It's a great lens, I love the starburst you get when it's stopped down.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Mike,

David

Whoa, yeah that is cool thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Mike,

David
    That's a pretty shot, David.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au