Wolf Road Prarie Burning

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited April 13, 2006 in Holy Macro
Well there wasn't anything to do at work today so I left after only staying for 30min. Yes life was good. I was driving to the woods and saw smoke so naturaly I drove to see what was going on. I got closer and realized that it was just a small prarie that they burn each year so that the new plants can grow. I stopped by and got some shots. Let me know what you think. All taken with 20D and my new 17-40 f/4. I really like this lens.

64117227-L.jpg

64116601-L.jpg

64116205-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 12, 2006
    First image isn't showing up.

I might have seen that as I drove down to Willow Springs to my accountant (one expensive trip come next monday, and I'm not talking about the price of gas). She told me to avoid Wolf Rd. I think it was because of the road construction though. Where on Wolf was this now?

Anyway... they let you get this close? I've done burns like this, and we shoo people away that aren't part of the burn.

I'm not going to want to sell my 10-22 now, am I? these look incredibly sharp, even at this reduced size.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    I walked up and they thought I might be someone from the newspaper but I told them I was just an amatuer and they let me be. I was talking to a lady and gentleman there who both worked for the Forest Preserve and they didn't ask me to leave, I just made sure I wasn't in the way. It is on Wolf and 31st in Westchester. In the Spring and Summer it is full of wildflowers and song birds. I like my 10-22 but the 17-40 I used to take these is super sharp, I'm really glad I got it.

The first pic is showing up for me, anyone else not seeing it?
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    I see 3 pics and 1 one red boxne_nau.gif When I right click > properties I get:

http://gluwater.smugmug.com/gallery/share.mg?AlbumID=1357076&Page=1&ImageID=64117227

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited April 12, 2006
    The red X should be gone. There should only be 3 pics. Thanks, it only showed up in IE so I didn't see it in Firefox.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    I see all three. Very nice storytelling. Those underbrush burns are a good thing. Amazing how we try to control nature by replicating its processes in a managed way. Sometimes it even works!

You might want to play with the last shot, throw some more light on the guy's face.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Intresting series thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Well there wasn't anything to do at work today so I left after only staying for 30min. Yes life was good. I was driving to the woods and saw smoke so naturaly I drove to see what was going on. I got closer and realized that it was just a small prarie that they burn each year so that the new plants can grow. I stopped by and got some shots. Let me know what you think. All taken with 20D and my new 17-40 f/4. I really like this lens.
    Thanks for looking!

Hi Gluwater......... I love these type of shots........they tell a story, and you find yourself looking into the images to see what else you can see.
    Great Series.....nicely done....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 13, 2006
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Sid I thought about that after I posted them. It was an overcast day and the helmet didn't help. I lightened his face a bit here but can't really go to much further becasue it gets pretty noisy. In case anyone is interested in how I lightened it:
    • I selected an outline of his face with the magnetic lasso
    • switched to quick mask and used gaussian blur at Radius 1.7 to feather the selection
    • exited quick mask and created a new layer from the selection
    • Used Shadow/Highlight on Shadow only to lighten it
    • Lightened it a little bit more by dodgeing
    • Smoothed it out using Median filter at 1 Pixel
    • Sharpened it a little bit using Smartsharpen Amount=200 Radius=.8
    It may not be the best way to do it but that is how I did it. Let me know if you think it's any better.

64239909-L.jpg
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Nick, the last one is great and thank you for infos also.
    clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]