Prime + TC = Same Resolving quality as Zoom?

ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
edited May 18, 2006 in Cameras
We all know that primes are superior to zooms... (as in, would this combination have less resolving power than a 70-200 Sigma, for instance?)

I was wondering the other day...

85mm f/1.8 + 2x Teleconv = 170mm f/2.8

(272mm equivalent)

Has anyone tried this stunt before?
- Scott
http://framebyframe.ca
[Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
[Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
[Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
[Tripod]
Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
[Head] 484RC2, 200RC2

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    We all know that primes are superior to zooms... (as in, would this combination have less resolving power than a 70-200 Sigma, for instance?)

(272mm equivalent)

Scott, you are using generalities as a definition. There are zoom lenses with higher resolving power than primes. Take the example of a 70-200 IS vs 85/1.8. The 70-200 is approx 1% higher lw/ph at their peak apertures. Did you know a 28-70L has a higher lw/ph across the all focal lengths than the 85/1.8.

Resolving power is more than just resolution its contrast as well with a big pinch of lighting conditions.

In your example, you can't use Canon TC so you are using a 3rd party. I am not aware of any MTF tests on TC's. I would expect since prime and zoom lenses tend to be close to each other in MTF test resolution, that any TC would be a large impact, reducing the MTF of a prime to well below a zoom. The application of this outside a lab enviroment, might reveal that in reality its not significant.

Again these are lab style tests, applied to nature you could achieve better results with either tests. The other thing is, I belive natively the lenses resolve greater than the sensitivity of sensors (I might not be reading it right), so its possible, which is the case with Canon Tele's and Super Tele's that a 1.4x TC doesn't have a significant affect on the resolution of the lens below what the sensor can "see".
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Scott, you are using generalities as a definition. There are zoom lenses with higher resolving power than primes. Take the example of a 70-200 IS vs 85/1.8. The 70-200 is approx 1% higher lw/ph at their peak apertures. Did you know a 28-70L has a higher lw/ph across the all focal lengths than the 85/1.8.

Resolving power is more than just resolution its contrast as well with a big pinch of lighting conditions.

In your example, you can't use Canon TC so you are using a 3rd party. I am not aware of any MTF tests on TC's. I would expect since prime and zoom lenses tend to be close to each other in MTF test resolution, that any TC would be a large impact, reducing the MTF of a prime to well below a zoom. The application of this outside a lab enviroment, might reveal that in reality its not significant.

Again these are lab style tests, applied to nature you could achieve better results with either tests. The other thing is, I belive natively the lenses resolve greater than the sensitivity of sensors (I might not be reading it right), so its possible, which is the case with Canon Tele's and Super Tele's that a 1.4x TC doesn't have a significant affect on the resolution of the lens below what the sensor can "see".

Cool, thankyeh.

I'm gonna go try it out at the store tomorrow.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006

(272mm equivalent)

Keep in mind, that Canon advises the use of TC's
    only for L lenses with 135mm and up. So I'd guess
    that this combination doesn't measure up with
    current L zooms or even a native 200mm/2.8 L.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    A 1.8 is awfully close to f/2, closer to that than it is to f/1.4, so we'll use that. Your combination is actually closer to an f/4, not an f/2.8. Its probably roughly an f/3.5. It also won't work as you can't put a tele on a Canon 85mm lens.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu