Options

Curses Canon!

limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited April 16, 2006 in Cameras
I knew I should have gone Nikon when I had the chance. :(:

This 30D is turning into a nightmare... First I get it and there are strange pieces of plasitc or glass all over the sensor, obviously a rather serious mfg issue, but alas all I can do is send it back for an exchange.

So... I get the RMA from B&H, send it on its merry way, and now what?
They are closed. Missed it by a day. I checked the delivery confirmation information and apparently they tried today and no luck, they just closed up shop. So now it is sitting at a NY post office until either they pick it up, or it is returned to sender. As far as I know, USPS only holds packages for 5 days then returns them. As if it isn't bad enough to be without a decent camera this long, I could potentially have to wait twice as long and pay double return shipping, for a defective product! Pardon my rant, I don't have a camera to occupy myself right now... :gun2

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    This is really absurd and I can't believe they have the nerve to do that. I used to really like B&H, but this is making me bitter. Pardon my rant, I don't have a camera to occupy myself right now... :gun2

i understand why you're frustrated, and where you're coming from. but don't pin it on B&H. it isn't their fault you got a faulty product from canon and that you sent it out the day they closed up.... my best bet for you is to either call them, or even e-mail one of the staff *i know one floats around here somewhere* tell them the situation, and see if they'll make an exception. in my dealings they're very nice folks if you explain the situation to 'em.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Daniel,

They're orthodox jews, closed for Passover. No chance of making an exception there.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i understand why you're frustrated, and where you're coming from. but don't pin it on B&H. it isn't their fault you got a faulty product from canon and that you sent it out the day they closed up.... my best bet for you is to either call them, or even e-mail one of the staff *i know one floats around here somewhere* tell them the situation, and see if they'll make an exception. in my dealings they're very nice folks if you explain the situation to 'em.thumb.gif

That's just it, I did call them, and sent it out before they closed up. It just happened to arrive a day too late... But really, how can they not at least have something in place to accept packages? I'd call them right now and tell them to get their butts over to the post office, but as far as I can tell there won't be anyone around for a while. I'm honestly trying not to be frustrated with them as I've dealt with them for so long and have had nothing but good experiences.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    But really, how can they not at least have something in place to accept packages?

Because it would be a violation of that which they hold most sacred.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Daniel,

They're orthodox jews, closed for Passover. No chance of making an exception there.

11doh.gif that makes sense.... sorry man. no luck of seeing another 30D that isn't busted till the 20th.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    Sorry, no offense intended *runs off with tail between legs and cleans up the first post on the way
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    I used to really like B&H, but this is making me bitter. Pardon my rant,
    Hi Limbik,

Rant all you like, but do NOT condemn B&H, probably the finest photo retailer on the planet, for being religiously observant and being closed for Pesach.

That's just wrong, period.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Because it would be a violation of that which they hold most sacred.

For them to personally do so, yes, this I understand. I was thinking something more along the lines of a holding service or at least something worked out with the post office which is all I can hope for at this point.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Limbik,

Rant all you like, but do NOT condemn B&H, probably the finest photo retailer on the planet, for being religiously observant and being closed for Pesach.

That's just wrong, period.

Nah, just frustrated with the situation, hence "curses canon" not "curses B&H" rolleyes1.gif Bad juju seeping out from the darkside because it almost had me, wait maybe it should be "curses nikon" lol3.gif

True also that a place is that observant any more and it is due deep respect as such. I just really, really, don't want that broken 30D to show up on my doorstep again...
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    For them to personally do so, yes, this I understand. I was thinking something more along the lines of a holding service or at least something worked out with the post office which is all I can hope for at this point.

Same thing could have happened with a nikon. No matter how good any company is there will always be some mistakes. B&H is closed for a religious holiday, nothing can be done about that even though it is unfortunate it simply is.

And as far as canon vs nikon goes. Harry has had to send his new fancy spensive nikon back 2 or three times now because the meter keeps failing on him. They fix it, then it works for a few months and breaks again. All companies have problems.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    limbik wrote:

limbik, their holiday closure messages run on their website for quite a while before holidays. Have you not seen that on their site? Did you ask them about the holiday when asking for an RMA? Passover is not exactly a little known holiday. As I look at it, B&H made their schedule available to everyone and they are not responsible for your choice in shipping carrier and speed.

When you treat people with respect they will go out of their way to help if they can. Insulting them or who they are is not helping your cause. Funny how so many New York City cabs run over 30D's in their shipping containers each day.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    And as far as canon vs nikon goes. Harry has had to send his new fancy spensive nikon back 2 or three times now because the meter keeps failing on him. They fix it, then it works for a few months and breaks again. All companies have problems.

Yea, I'll go with "Curses Nikon" blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Funny how so many New York City cabs run over 30D's in their shipping containers each day.

:uhoh NYC here i come.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    :uhoh NYC here i come.

So young and naive :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    This happens 2x a year, every year. I consider it a good education, free, courtesy of BH :D

Hope your situation gets sorted out, Limbik!
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    This happens 2x a year, every year. I consider it a good education, free, courtesy of BH :D

Ain't that the truth... Thanks Andy, I'm crossing my fingers that nobody runs it over at this point.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:

This always surprises me that people don't know these holidays.... But then I realise why. I grew up in west bloomfield. A community with a very very very very large jewish population. So I grew up learning about both religions and getting both christian and jewish holidays off school.

Cultural Diversity Rocks.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    I worked in West Bloomfield for a while and lived in Southfield at the time, apparently not long enough. :(:

You're right tho, I missed the diversity of that whole area the most when I moved back to WI, that and the 70mph speed limits. mwink.gif
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    One thing to consider about the Post Office and the Holidays is this....I'm SURE the Post Office in B&H's neighborood is aware of their closng schedule, and will hold to redeliver after the Holiday. My mail carrier, knows my car, when my kids go to school, and when I eat lunch. For the most part postal service employees are a very perceptive bunch.

So far as the closure, and not to beat a dead horse too badly, you wouldn't spite them if your package arrived on Dec. 24th. More and more large retail establishments (who make big efforts to portray themselves as religious and moral) stay open on holidays usually reserved for spending time with family. Part of what makes a company like B&H deserve a reputation like it has, is related to its commitment and reverence for what is important, and all but 2 or so weeks a year and Friday afternoons and Saturdays that is their customers.

As a gentile who worked photographing Jewish social events for 2 years, my understanding and respect for Jewish traditions, Jewish families, and Jews in general has evolved and grown deeper as I realized how deeply sacred these Holidays and rituals are held. I had the opportunity to photograph 2 Orthodox weddings, and I was honored to be the only gentile in attendance. The richness and joy of the traditions of the day truly moved me, and I can honestly say they were among the most meaningful and fun celebrations I ever photographed or attended, and all because they were held with such reverence and respect.

My 30D comes tomorrow, and if my sensor is covered in plastic, I'll be cursing Canon too, but I'll be RMA'ing it back to Newegg. Stinks this happened to you and I'm sure it will all get worked out.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    One thing to consider about the Post Office and the Holidays is this....I'm SURE the Post Office in B&H's neighborood is aware of their closng schedule, and will hold to redeliver after the Holiday.

Good point, that is reassuring. Thanks dgrin for giving me a place to voice my frustration, and tolerating my ignorance. I do feel much better, wiser, and more humble than I did a couple hours ago.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 13, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    Good point, that is reassuring. Thanks dgrin for giving me a place to voice my frustration, and tolerating my ignorance. I do feel much better, wiser, and more humble than I did a couple hours ago.

limbik (James),

Since you sold your 20D, and you had to send back the 30D, you appear to be truly Canon-less.

If you need it, I could loan you a dRebel XT body. We could meet in say, Rockford, which is about an hour and a quarter away for me. I realize it's a bit longer for you, but still doable.

I am willing to do this because,

1) You are a fellow DGrinner (and "we" are a special sort of people)
    2) You are without a camera body (and Canon lenses are terrible things to waste)
    3) I know what you look like (as long as you wear a fishbowl over your head)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    limbik (James),

Since you sold your 20D, and you had to send back the 30D, you appear to be truly Canon-less.

If you need it, I could loan you a dRebel XT body....

Nice! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    No alarms and no surprises.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited April 13, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    No alarms and no surprises.

Should there be? (I'm not getting your meaning or reference.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Radiohead did a video for the song No Surprises where the lead singer had his head in a fishbowl that was slowly filled with water.

• Options
    FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    Nah, just frustrated with the situation, hence "curses canon" not "curses B&H" rolleyes1.gif Bad juju seeping out from the darkside because it almost had me, wait maybe it should be "curses nikon" lol3.gif

True also that a place is that observant any more and it is due deep respect as such. I just really, really, don't want that broken 30D to show up on my doorstep again...

Could the sensor have been cleaned, Iv'e heard this is a problem that a few people have experienced with the 30D, after the sensor was wiped off the camera was fine.

I just got my 30D, I upgraded from the 20D, I love the 30D no issues with mine at all, sorry you had issues with yours, I personally think the 30D is one awesome camera, your gonna love it when you get it.
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Can't B&H get the "block goy" to do business during passover? There are non-jews working there, right?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Can't B&H get the "block goy" to do business during passover? There are non-jew working there, right?

its still a Jewish run business though. and they'd be making money and business over their most sanctioned holiday. no if, ands, or buts about it.:uhoh
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Sometimes when the management of a store wants to observe religious holidays, they close the store. It's not just because they don't want to work or that working on the holiday or whatever is against their religion. It's that having their business operating is against their beliefs. It's not like they leave it open and let someone else run it. Kind of like Chick-fil-et (mmmm chick-fil-et). They aren't open on Sunday because the CEO thinks Sundays should be reserved for "god time" so to speak.

But what do I know? I'm an atheist.

• Options
    ingramimagesingramimages Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    They're probably giving up a lot more in sales than people realize for their religious observance.
    "All the art in my work dwells in the subjects; it's all theirs. It's not made up by me; I ain't that smart."