JPG comments

jdjdjdjdjdjd Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited April 13, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I was under the impression that JPG comments would be automatically turned into captions when uploaded to SmugMug -- I thought I saw that happen at one point in time. On my latest upload, I added JPG comments but they weren't converted to captions (and they weren't visible anywhere else in SmugMug, as far as I could tell).

So what's the story? Am I dreaming, or did this really work at one point and then stop?

Thanks...

-- jeff

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    jdjdjd wrote:
    I was under the impression that JPG comments would be automatically turned into captions when uploaded to SmugMug -- I thought I saw that happen at one point in time. On my latest upload, I added JPG comments but they weren't converted to captions (and they weren't visible anywhere else in SmugMug, as far as I could tell).

So what's the story? Am I dreaming, or did this really work at one point and then stop?

Thanks...

-- jeff

IPTC Captions and Keywords, sure can work. What's your workflow, camera, software, etc? Be as detailed as possible please, and also give a gallery link.

Thanks
  • jdjdjdjdjdjd Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    IPTC Captions and Keywords, sure can work. What's your workflow, camera, software, etc? Be as detailed as possible please, and also give a gallery link.

Thanks

The gallery is private. Workflow is usually RawShooter Pro to FastStone (to StarExplorer for SmugMug), then to idImager for cataloging. Camera is Canon XT. I used FastStone for captions this time, and I thought that's what I used last time.

Thanks...

-- jeff
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    jdjdjd wrote:
    The gallery is private. Workflow is usually RawShooter Pro to FastStone (to StarExplorer for SmugMug), then to idImager for cataloging. Camera is Canon XT. I used FastStone for captions this time, and I thought that's what I used last time.
    FastStone currently doesn't support IPTC captions at the moment as far as I know. The JPG comment won't work as you've discovered yourself. Another possibility would be to enter the captions in StarExplorer (S*E), but I think it doesn't write them into the pictures therefore it would be only good for the one upload. Maybe RawShooter has a IPTC option even though I didn't found any mention of it on the homepage at a quick glance.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    jdjdjd wrote:

Thanks...

-- jeff

Send the link to help@smugmug.com ATTN Andy and I will look into it, OK?
  • jdjdjdjdjdjd Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Sebastian, thanks for the reply. I don't think that RawShooter supports IPTC captions.

Andy, I'm still wondering if something changed at SmugMug, but in either case, this would be a useful feature to have. I'm not sure why you want to look at my gallery (my pictures aren't *that* great). If you want to see how I'm entering the JPG comments, I can mail you a picture, or better yet, you could download a copy (free) of FastStone and give it a try yourself.

-- jeff