Aperture 1.1

suntzusuntzu Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited April 13, 2006 in Finishing School
I guess it's coming out the 13th. Looks like someone accidently leaked the news on an RSS feed. Also, it says the price will go down $200.

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Yep, so the price will be $299.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yep, so the price will be $299.

according to this, it'll still be $499 ne_nau.gif

http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
    Pedal faster
  • BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Apple store is updated (.ca anyways) with lower price. $349 canadian, so I assume $299 US

Looks more reasonable at that price... hmmmm.... mwink.gif
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 13, 2006
    BrettG wrote:
    Apple store is updated (.ca anyways) with lower price. $349 canadian, so I assume $299 US

Looks more reasonable at that price... hmmmm.... mwink.gif

checking the apple store...now that's a great idea.

sure enough, apple store has it for $299 USD.

hey andy, got yer credit card out yet? we need another review.
    Pedal faster
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    $299 is a much better price. thumb.gif

Hopefully that will keep the future price of Lightroom down too. :D
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    How cool is this?

Aperture 1.0 e-coupon

On April 13, 2006 Apple released Aperture 1.1, the first Universal version of Aperture and a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one post-production tool for photographers. In addition, Apple lowered the price of Aperture from $499 to $299. Apple is offering a $200 e-coupon good on the online Apple Store to licensed users of Aperture 1.0. Licensed users of Aperture 1.0 Academic will receive a $100 e-coupon.
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Updated my copy of Aperture and printed out the e-coupon. 1drink.gif
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    $299 retail, $149 educational. Now, they need to lower the minimum system requirements so my G4 Mac mini can run it. umph.gif
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    suntzu wrote:
    I guess it's coming out the 13th.

It's out. I haven't fully exercised it, but I spent some time comparing the output of 1.1 versions 1.0 for a few images that rendered poorly under 1.0.

Fine shadow detail, which used to be pretty splotchy in 1.0 (due, I think, to over-sharpening), is vastly improved in 1.1 even on the default conversion settings. I don't tend to shoot things like that so it didn't impact me very much, but when it was bad it was really bad. Not so any longer.

The thing I hated most about 1.0 was its handling of noisy images; it was one of the worst converters I've ever seen when given noisy input. It was totally unusable. The improvement with 1.1 would be hard to overstate. I would call the output a rough equivalent to Adobe Capture Raw now, with very similar texture. If you additionally apply a (fairly heavy) does of the Noise Reduction filter you can even get results that are comparable to Capture One. Although C1 still remains my favorite converter for noisy images it's not a slam dunk anymore.

With these improvements comes the ability to adjust the raw conversion parameters to a degree. I mucked around a bit on a few images but found that the defaults are pretty much to my liking, and certainly much better selected than they were in 1.0.

Apple's claims of tremendous speed improvements appear to be significantly overstated. Using heavy filtering I still see significant UI lags even on my Quad. It may be better but the improvement is not obvious. Along those lines it is rather disingenuous of Apple to say that the product is 4x faster on a Macbook Pro than a Powerbook; I don't disbelieve that, but the fact of the matter is that the raw hardware is roughly that much faster. It appears to me that what they're really claiming is that you would prefer to have a new, fast laptop to use this product. That shouldn't surprise anyone. But if you were looking to 1.1 to make the product quicker on whatever hardware you already have you probably aren't going to see much improvement.

Anyway the basic conclusion is that the rumors were true, the renderer really is a dramatic improvement over 1.0. I'm sure not everyone will be happy, no one ever is, but I believe I'll be able to use its converter for almost everything now.

If you have a bunch of images in 1.0 you should be aware that the new interface allows you to select which renderer to use. I had heard that it was going to be a one-way migration but it isn't. You can migrate en-mass, create new versions instead of destructively migrating, migrate a few images at a time, or even one at a time. The documentation implies that you can't revert to 1.0 but it must be referring to the inability to revert en-masse; you can select which renderer you want to use in the raw converter fine-tuning dialogs. It's trivial to flip back and forth between the renderers. I know that with Apple's claims of on-the-fly rendering people were worried that their images would change underneath them whenever Apple upgraded; clearly Apple heard this concern and has addressed it appropriately.

I'll let someone else go through the other myriad small improvements. There are a bunch that aren't earth-shattering but that make the product significantly more usable in various situations. Still no curves though, sigh.

One last thing that's sure to make early adopters happy is the $200 coupon for the online Apple store offered to anyone who bought 1.0. I've never seen a vendor do that before. I suspect that no small number of these coupons will be applied to new laptop purchases. (Mine will.)

If you have 1.0, go get the update -- you'll like it. If you dismissed Aperture because of renderer quality, you might want to take another look.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com