1st time poster looking for feedback - thx

ThousandWordsThousandWords Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 19, 2006 in People
Hello,

Never posted before and thought Id seek some feedback.

Found myself in a church last weekend and was captivated by all of the visual stimulation that makes a church a church. After the services were complete I got off a hundred or so shots. I submit this for any (non theological) comments, criticism you can offer.

I often take advantage of low-light, slow shutter situations to use either conscious camera movement and/or movement of the subject, and blurring to add mood, drama interest, or plain-old cheap gimmick. Im curious how this technique feels to the viewer.

I should mention that the 3 major elements, woman, water receptacle/candle and holy man have been ps'd into a single composed image

Feel free to let me have it - composition, technique, editing.

Appreciate the help.

Steve.

Comments

• ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Eerie.
  • ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    p.s. you know you are prolly going to hell for that......rolleyes1.gif
  • rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    the blur hurts my eyes :cry
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I think I would like the blurry effect more if the background was in focus, but the woman, water, holy man, were blurry.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Not digging it... sorryne_nau.gif -Jamie
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    That shot is just plain terrible...a mistake that should have never been taken out of the camera if i had done it. I wouldnt know where to start offering critique.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Could be an interesting idea showing motion, but you need to keep the camera on a tripod, so only the people are moving (not the background).
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    That shot is just plain terrible...a mistake that should have never been taken out of the camera if i had done it. I wouldnt know where to start offering critique.

rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 17, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif
    Seriously if people ask an opinion in a forum then i dont go putting sugar on how i see the shot. I call it 'warts & all'. The best way i have found is to relay the feeling that the photo gave me in the 1st few seconds of looking at it... ie did it pass on any mood etc etc
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Seriously if people ask an opinion in a forum then i dont go putting sugar on how i see the shot. I call it 'warts & all'. The best way i have found is to relay the feeling that the photo gave me in the 1st few seconds of looking at it... ie did it pass on any mood etc etc

That's a good thing...I only hope people can be that honest when I post something. I just found the line about not taking it out of the camera humerous. rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 18, 2006
    I only hope people can be that honest when I post something.

Ready when you are.......deal.gif
  • CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Not digging it... sorryne_nau.gif -Jamie

Yep, gotta go with Jamie on this one. Maybe it's an interesting effect, but it just doesn't work for me either - at least not for this particular shot.
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    i agree. there is too much blur. if the background was in focus and just the pople were blurred it would have a bigger impact i think. neat idea tho
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    I agree that something in the pic should look motionless...I would have been more excited to see people in focus and background/stationary elements in motion blur. I really have trouble seeing what the focal point is when everything is blurry. I think the monochromatic background with the beautiful red robe sets off a really nice potential for color and contrast but it feels unrealized.
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    I think you guys scared him off...
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    I do have some OOF, under/over exposed lousy shots. but I try very hard to keep them out of reach:D. As a practice, I do delete them as soon as the apear.rolleyes1.gif
    Sorry, guess that today I'm in the "stay out" mood. ne_nau.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]