self portrait

prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in People
hey look it's me! how did i do? it's always difficult for me to get a good shot of myself especially one in focus. and i think this one turned out pretty decent. . let me know what you think.

dsc0005bw9sa.jpg

Comments

• DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    You silly girl ^.^
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I like the first one... The second one the eye looks a little bit big, and distracting. Cool artistic effect though - it's an interesting portrayal of yourself. i've always had difficulties with pictures of me - especially taking them, and fixing them up to portray myself (Hence - not a single good pic of me)... - I think these are pretty good though.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    evocative of clockwork orange......

clockworkorange.jpg
    however - oof - nice chain.

with that face, i'm sure you can do better.

the photoshop deal is meunchesque and extraterrestrial.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    you should try focusing on your eyes, then tilting the camera down to get the angle you want. that first shot would be awesome if it was sharply focused on your eyes. the wierd edit doesnt do anything for me
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    She's also got gorgeous green eyes. You should do some more photographs that show that off Kasey, it's a wonderful trait. :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Very unique angle of a pretty lady. I like the shot. Not a fan of the PS version though.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • IronhorseIronhorse Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I like the photo, even without tack sharp eyes. You look good with an attitude.
    Regards,

Joe
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Sort of different...I like it :)
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Hi, goldfish
    Nice photo!thumb.gif
    I would like to see one with your eyes in focus.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marshall_fun
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    seems like everyone agrees that i need to practice focusing...but it's hard to tell what's in focus when you're not looking through the view finder! know what i mean? thanks for your feedback!
  • Ginebra AlvarezGinebra Alvarez Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Intention
    I do not agree about the 'eyes in focus' stuff. I think that there must be an intention behind every image. If the intention is conscious then the photographer must drive everything (composition, lighting, etc) towards it right from the beginning. If the intention is unconscious, then it is also the work of the photographer to reveal that intention (by remembering his mood when he took the pic for example) in postprocessing or by immersing the photograph into the right photographic discourse. Thus, if the intention is to sell eye cosmetics then the eyes must be in focus. If the intention is to say for example, "I am not here. There is a little mystery inside me", then eyes out of focus would contribute to accentuate the intention.
    edited April 25, 2006
    i fiddled around in photoshop to see if i could get it more in focus. i succeed a bit. is it better?

portrait0tt.jpg
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Why don't you just reshoot?

Can't be that hard.. I mean, the model lives really close by. rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 25, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Why don't you just reshoot?

Can't be that hard.. I mean, the model lives really close by. rolleyes1.gif

because the model isn't cooperative
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    i fiddled around in photoshop to see if i could get it more in focus. i succeed a bit. is it better?

If there's a way you can selectively sharpen the eyes and nothing else, that might work out pretty well. It looks like now your face is a little oversharpened...but not too bad.
  • oldbmwoldbmw Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I like it better with the eyes out of focus.
    Chris Jennings
    chrisjennings.smugmug.com

Use coupon 6bPSMkMYrhpVE to save $5.00 on a new smugmug account
    edited April 28, 2006
    lol make up you minds!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    In the redone version, the whole photo is sharper, so the eyes are still less sharp relative to the rest of the shot.

My suggestions (pick one):
    a) If fixing the original, sharpen the eyes and Lens Blur the rest so that the eyes become the sharpest area of the shot.
    b) If reshooting, set to manual focus and position camera so that eyes are at that focus distance, because the problem is that auto-focus is picking the wrong spot (center, not edge where the eyes are). Works better with a tripod, self-timer, and a few tries of moving back and forth but you'll get it.
  • mknphotosmknphotos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    The first one is better.
    The second picture looks over sharpened to me. But, you have a beautiful model, so what does it really matter??
    lol make up you minds!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Hi, prity goldfish
    Yes, a bit better I think.
    I was thinking along the same lines a Owen just re-shoot!
    I will do a shoot with you if, you can't find some one closer Laughing.gif.
    If I was only closer to you.
    You might want to try your timer and a tripod.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    I use the timer and tripod for my self portrait shots. Just leave a prop where you plan to position yourself and lock focus on it. Then when you depress the shutter and hurry into position, the image should be sharp. It takes a little trial and error, but once you figure it out it's a piece of cake!
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras