HELP: 5D + 16-35L first picture

MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited April 16, 2006 in Cameras
I bought this lens from eBay and today I recieved it... I was at the local Good Guys and I took a few snaps...

I am quite unsure of what I am seeing... Pictures were the 100% crop from a RAW, ISO 640, shot at 35mm, 1/8s (hand-held) @ f2.8

The ISO and shutter speed is kinda odd but does the image looks like a camera shake???

:scratch I will test again tomorrow...

1635l027bl.jpg

1635l018wk.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Look slike some weird type of over saturation to me headscratch.gif
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Look slike some weird type of over saturation to me headscratch.gif

Looks like overexposure, resulting in oversaturation.

Can we see the original full shots (no crop)?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Looks like overexposure, resulting in oversaturation.

I think you are right... I found the settings on the camera to be +1..... well... I was reading the manual cover-to-cover over the last few weeks before I decided to buy a lens.... was playing around with the settings and apprently forget to set'em back....

But, just to be sure, this is over-exposed; right???:uhoh

1635l037ki.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    1/8s (hand-held)

Try a shot at 1/100th or faster.
    edited April 13, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I think you are right... I found the settings on the camera to be +1..... well... I was reading the manual cover-to-cover over the last few weeks before I decided to buy a lens.... was playing around with the settings and apprently forget to set'em back....

But, just to be sure, this is over-exposed; right???:uhoh

1635l037ki.jpg

Yeah, by about maybe... half to full stop...

Another option: http://www.hdrtools.com (at least, I think that's the site).

Photomatix HDRTools, lets you take multiple photos with high dynamic range and compress them down a bit so they don't have zones that are blown out like that.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 13, 2006
    1/8th sec - hand held - f2.8 ISO 640.

And you think the image is poor quality?? I think this is very good quality for hand held 1/8th sec and straight metering from the camera. The Neon is too hot - but neon is almost always too hot unless I dial in some -EC.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 13, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    1/8th sec - hand held - f2.8 ISO 640.

And you think the image is poor quality?? I think this is very good quality for hand held 1/8th sec and straight metering from the camera. The Neon is too hot - but neon is almost always too hot unless I dial in some -EC.

Path - it is a terrible picture and it was all my fault. You are right about neon... here is the last time I took a picture of them when I had the D200...

dub2006018jj.jpg
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    the above picture looks oversharpened....
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited April 13, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    the above picture looks oversharpened....

It's being resized.

Right click and "View image"
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited April 13, 2006
    I still don't get it I guess. ne_nau.gif

Do you really think your first image was that bad, or that the D200 was that much better??

I love shooting neonthumb.gif

ISO 800 f8 1/80th -0.333EC iDsMkll

8624478-L.jpg

ISO 800 f3.2 1/500th O EC 20D

29895266-L.jpg

edited April 14, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I still don't get it I guess. ne_nau.gif

Do you really think your first image was that bad, or that the D200 was that much better??

No! They both are incorrectly exposed. Especiall compare to yours....

You know what; I am now more interested in neon than ever before...:D
    edited April 15, 2006
    2nd Try with ISO 1600
    Okay... not a fair comparison since the following shots were taken with ISO 1600 but I am trying to get neon lights to correct exposure.... but still needs a lot more improvement...

staplecenter1635l5lp.jpg

staplecenter1635l030yo.jpg

staplecenter1635l022py.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    I don't even try to get nightime neon correct in a single exposure. I always digital blend two exposures.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't even try to get nightime neon correct in a single exposure. I always digital blend two exposures.

I'd say the only way to get it right (lights and the rest of the image) in a single exposure is to shoot in the "blue hour" so the exposure required for each part of the image is within the EV range handled by the camera.
    edited April 16, 2006
    Probably so.

Or try to find a setting that's a middle ground - underexposed for the environment but not too over-exposed for the neon - and make a single exposure that preserves enough info for you to make two acceptable exposures from a RAW file, then blend them. That could be tough to pull off, tho.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 16, 2006
    Neon is esier to shoot in the sweet light after the sun is down and before it is completely dark, that's for sure.

But even after darness arrives it can be fun, but just not neon and the other surroundings in the dark simultaneously like waxy said.

Most of my neon shots are handheld so double exposures at different Evs are not typical for me.

Might try a little fill flash at a very strong -FEC to help balance the exposure. Or several frames froma tripod, merged in HDR should work well.

edited April 16, 2006
    I'll keep trying...
    pathfinder wrote:
    Neon is esier to shoot in the sweet light after the sun is down and before it is completely dark, that's for sure....

Well... I am going to Las Vegas during the first weekend of May for the Supercross event.

Where else on this side of Mississippi be better to shoot neon than Las Vegas???
    :D

P.S. I wish I could change the subject of this thread to HELP: Shooting neons with 5D + 16-35 2.8L
    edited April 16, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Well... I am going to Las Vegas during the first weekend of May for the Supercross event.

Where else on this side of Mississippi be better to shoot neon than Las Vegas???
    :D

P.S. I wish I could change the subject of this thread to HELP: Shooting neons with 5D + 16-35 2.8L
    lol3.gif

Take a tripod.

And damn, that sounds like fun.
    Sid.