Options

United Flight Memorial shots (bandwith alert)

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited April 14, 2006 in Holy Macro
I've been traveling on business in western Pennsylvania this week. I decided to drive 30 minutes out of my way to visit the temporary memorial for United Flight 93, near Shanksville, PA.

Most US residents have a "what I was doing on Sept 11th" story. I was in Atlanta on a business trip and I watched the events unfold from a Hilton lobby bar. I was particularly concerned because my daughter is a US Airways flight attendant and she was doing a lot of flying in the US northeast. It took me an hour or so to reach her and find out that she was not flying that day. But the memory of those feelings of fear and uncertainty are still close to me. And in a very, very, very small way I feel I understand the feelings of those who lost family and friends on that fateful day.

I arrived at the Flight 93 Memorial right after the sun went below the horizon. It is in a very out-of-the-way location and yet people were visiting the site even after it got quite dark. There's not too much to see but many have left tributes on supplied fence and surrounding space.

64274448-L.jpg
The field where Flight 93 came down

64274677-L.jpg

64275066-L.jpg

64274185-L.jpg

64274252-L.jpg

64274325-L.jpg

No politics here - just feelings of remembrance and grief. Visiting this location made me thankful for my life and freedom and sorry for those who lost their lives here.

Thanks for viewing.

Link to a gallery of a few other shots
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Beautifully captured. Must be an extremely emotional place to visit. It brought chills down my spine and tears to my eyes immediately. Thanks for sharing...some things should not be forgotten. :cry
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I'm with Saurora on the chills and tears. This morning they had recordings of the cockpit voice recorder on the news. After hearing that, your pictures are a stunning visual reminder of the lives lost and that they truly are our American Heros.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Those are seriously....powerful. I don't even know what to say but they sure give me a lump in my throat. I have a question too, on this shot here http://cs-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/1361087/2/64274384/Large is that jewlery found at the scene of the crash? Or left behind by visitors?
    "Capturing Colorado, one click at a time"
    website | photoblog | facebook | twitter | deviantArt | RedBubble
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    thumb.gif WOOOOOOOW!!! Extremely powerful. Fantastic.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 13, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Beautifully captured. Must be an extremely emotional place to visit. It brought chills down my spine and tears to my eyes immediately. Thanks for sharing...some things should not be forgotten. :cry

15524779-Ti.gif

powerful
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    kkart wrote:
    Those are seriously....powerful. I don't even know what to say but they sure give me a lump in my throat. I have a question too, on this shot here http://cs-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/1361087/2/64274384/Large is that jewlery found at the scene of the crash? Or left behind by visitors?

I'm assuming the jewelry as been left by visitors. The location was a granite marker with a plaque <sp?> and these momentos were left sitting on top of it.

There are lots of little mini-locations like this with trinkets, notes, and other items of thought left behind.

Thanks
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    adm793adm793 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2006
    Thanks
    As my first post, I couldn’t find any better and more touching photos than these. Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us.

-Andre
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Thank You
    I've been traveling on business in western Pennsylvania this week. I decided to drive 30 minutes out of my way to visit the temporary memorial for United Flight 93, near Shanksville, PA.

Most US residents have a "what I was doing on Sept 11th" story. I was in Atlanta on a business trip and I watched the events unfold from a Hilton lobby bar. I was particularly concerned because my daughter is a US Airways flight attendant and she was doing a lot of flying in the US northeast. It took me an hour or so to reach her and find out that she was not flying that day. But the memory of those feelings of fear and uncertainty are still close to me. And in a very, very, very small way I feel I understand the feelings of those who lost family and friends on that fateful day.

I arrived at the Flight 93 Memorial right after the sun went below the horizon. It is in a very out-of-the-way location and yet people were visiting the site even after it got quite dark. There's not too much to see but many have left tributes on supplied fence and surrounding space.

The field where Flight 93 came down

No politics here - just feelings of remembrance and grief. Visiting this location made me thankful for my life and freedom and sorry for those who lost their lives here.

Thanks for viewing.

Link to a gallery of a few other shots

Just a few weeks after the events of September 11, I flew from Australia to America then took a couple of internal flights with American Airlines.

During my flight from Dallas to Oklahoma, I reached in to my bag and took out a stickpin of the Australian Flag and the American Flag together as ONE and gave it to the Flight Attendant.... I just held out my hand and gave it to him, and my eyes filled with tears, but I know he understood my gesture.

Fear is a terrible thing, but you can't live in a box, life goes on, and if you give into fear it will rule your life........ live it to the fullest you only get one chance at it.

Thank you for your sharing your images...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments on my shots!
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 14, 2006
    Nightingale and I were at the crash site of Flight 93 early in the fall of 2001. The Pennsylvania State Police were still guarding the site and patrolling the area.

Within days of the crash, people were leaving mementos and stuffed animal at areas around the crash site. The visitors area arose spontaneously. Visitors just seemed to keep coming day after day, and still are over 4 years later.

I spoke to a couple of fellows that afternoon in 2001, who said they worked in the Pentagon building, and felt that the people of Flight 93 may have saved their lives on Sept 11, because they did not allow the plane to return to the DC area. Very moving then, and still very moving today.

Nightingale and I were there again a few years later, and the site still seems to call to people as a very moving experience. Somber, earnest, and almost a religious experience.

We must never forget. The men who attacked that day in September want vastly more powerful weapons. We must not allow that to happen. We must not..............
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin