Resizing to 16x20 w/ PSCS2

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited April 14, 2006 in Finishing School
Being new to PS I've read a bit and heard differing opinions on how to enlarge an image. Anyone have thoughts for me...
I need to up-size a D70 image (shot RAW) to 16x20 for a customer. And I usually do not print bigger than 8x10.
The image will be printed at a pro lab. Not by me....
Oh, one more question...I tried it using Bi-cubic sharpener, and it seemed OK. But when I go to view at 100% it seems to be going way past 100% on the screen. The "ruler" shows 1 inch (on the scale) to be about 3 to 4 inches long. (if that makes sense.)

Comments

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Being new to PS I've read a bit and heard differing opinions on how to enlarge an image. Anyone have thoughts for me...
    I need to up-size a D70 image (shot RAW) to 16x20 for a customer. And I usually do not print bigger than 8x10.
    Oh, one more question...I tried it using Bi-cubic sharpener, and it seemed OK. But when I go to view at 100% it seems to be going way past 100% on the screen. The "ruler" shows 1 inch (on the scale) to be about 3 to 4 inches long. (if that makes sense.)
    I have sent a jpg 3000 pixels by 2000 pixels to a lab and I got an awesome 24"x36" poster from it. You could upsize it yourself if you feel that they can't handle it, but if they are professional they can (and usually will do it) for you. Actually if I ever do upsize for almost anything I use GF (genuine fractals) plug-in. But I think this is exactly was most pro labs use to upsize.

Also if you read some advice in this thread it says if you are going to upsize use bi-cubic smoother, if you want to use just what comes in photoshop cs or cs2. (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29442)

" Image Interpolation. Interpolation is the process for changing the resolution of a photo and it can be either upsizing (making more pixels) or downsizing (reducing the number of pixels). Different techniques can be used for interpolation and this preference controls which technique Photoshop will use by default when you upsize or downsize. Katrin recommends Bicubic Smoother for upsizing and Bicubic Sharper for downsizing. After setting these preferences, these will be the default options in Photoshop For some operations like the Image Size command, you can still override these in the dialog, but for others like Free Transform, there is no dialog to control them so the default is always what is used.

Since I rarely upsize images and frequently downsize images (for web display or to send in email), I set this default to Bicubic Sharper. "
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    there should not be any reason to have to uprez to 16 x 20...all pro labs should have great rip software to that better than PS could ever hope to....Like bham...if I do nay uprezing it is done with Genuine fractals....last time I used their trial version and it allows you to save 20 images for free.

What I did was .... I took my file full size and down sized it in ps...image size - constrain - from 72 dpi to 300 dpi...this brought the size to approx 8.5 X 10...then opened it in GF and sized it to 30 x 40 inches at 300dpi.....huge file saved as a #12 jpg and let lab do the sharpening..... it was so tight you did not need to be back away to view it...unless you wanted to see the whole image at once.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006

That happens because at 100% Photoshop displays one pixel per monitor pixel. For example, if you run your 18" wide monitor at 1280x1024 and you display an image with a width of 1280 pixels, the image will be 18" wide since there is one pixel on the monitor for every image pixel.

The rulers aren't anywhere near accurate until you select "Print Size"; if you're so inclined you can make it even more accurate via the method Yorkie Dad described here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=265536&postcount=3.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Print it via Smug, we do this all the time. Do not upres at all. And, we'll guarantee the quality. Be sure to have your files in sRGB, Anthony.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Print it via Smug, we do this all the time. Do not upres at all. And, we'll guarantee the quality. Be sure to have your files in sRGB, Anthony.

Exactly. Trust the pros to do it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The file is from my D70 as I said and are a 4x6 aspect....so I should size to 16x24 but not up res. (Resolution will be less than 300ppi right?)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    The file is from my D70 as I said and are a 4x6 aspect....so I should size to 16x24 but not up res. (Resolution will be less than 300ppi right?)

You don't have to do anything to it. Upload it. Crop to 8x10 on smugmug if you like - price the 16x20 and let it rip!
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You don't have to do anything to it. Upload it. Crop to 8x10 on smugmug if you like - price the 16x20 and let it rip!
    OK, but I have a problem still. I cropped soooo tight in camera that I can not crop to 8x10 ratio. That's why I'm looking to goto 16x24 (a size SM does not offer). If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.
    Here are the 2 pics I need to print

http://brandolinoimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/1077084/1/50035745/Large

http://brandolinoimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/1077084/1/50049192/Large

Thanks for the help ...

Editted.....
    Forget it...since the original is 10.027x6.667 or (6x4 aspect ratio) I'll just size to 20x13 and build my own frame....any thoughts on that idea...oh and I can add canvas size to make a standard 16x20 print a crop off the extra....