Options

A little help w/ post

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited October 21, 2004 in Finishing School
This is a shot from the weekend that I like a lot. I feel it has potential to be great if I could get a little more out in post.

I've been messing with it for hours, and not happy with anything I've done. here is the picture just cropped & leveled a little.

Any help is appreciated.

9990420-L.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    edited October 19, 2004
    Still playing w/ the photo.

This one I used the magic wand to select only the wood & used the burn tool to darken for an aged, weathered look. I was wanting to give it more character since it's such a big part of the photo, but don't want to distract from my shy friend.

I've also sharpened this one. Something I forgot to do w/ the previous shot.

10051391-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    This is a shot from the weekend that I like a lot. I feel it has potential to be great if I could get a little more out in post.

I've been messing with it for hours, and not happy with anything I've done. here is the picture just cropped & leveled a little.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Took your first copy and greated an embossed layer and then blended them. It is a little overdone to show the effect but you might try doing it before your darkening/aging process.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Took your first copy and greated an embossed layer and then blended them. It is a little overdone to show the effect but you might try doing it before your darkening/aging process.

Great idea! I'll start playing with it now.

Dave
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 19, 2004
    I darkened the barn by the Cletus method and dodged the horse a little and whitened the eye up a bit and then darkened the edges some ....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I darkened the barn by the Cletus method and dodged the horse a little and whitened the eye up a bit and then darkened the edges some ....

Do you have a link to the Cletus method? I've been looking through the forum, but can't seem to find it.

Dave
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2004
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Yep thats it thumb.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    Here's something I threw together:

10062690-L.jpg

Steps:
    • Used the magnetic laso tool to select the hole/window (which included the horse), and saved the selection as a channel
    • Ran a "Ghost Effect" action
    • Used my previously saved selection as a mask for the ghost effect so the effect only showed up on the wall
    • Added a Levels Adjustment Layer with the Ghost layer as a clipping mask (which means the Levels layer will only effect the Ghost layer)
    • Used the Levels layer to darken the wall
    • Whitened the eye
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 19, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Do you have a link to the Cletus method? I've been looking through the forum, but can't seem to find it.

Dave

The technique is decribed in detail in Dodging and Burning Done Right page 106 in Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers".
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    The technique is decribed in detail in Dodging and Burning Done Right page 106 in Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers".

Hey!!! No giving away my secrets :D

Actually I had forgotten where I first read about this technique. I'm glad someone tracked it down. I've felt bad that everyone kept calling it the "Cletus Method" since I most definitely did not come up with it.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    Thanks again for everyones help. Work has been crazy the past two days. I hope to try some more things on the image tonight & will post my results if I can make any improvements.

Dave