Scripting with CS2

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited April 20, 2006 in Finishing School
Anybody here use it, understand it, have links to places they have found useful in learning about it. I want to learn more about it.

Need a few good places to start. I have looked and so far everything I found I can't really understand. But hey I was the same way with html, css, and a few other things, but not long after looking at dgrins customization and doing a little, I began to understand the basics and the relationship between those things. Now I can read about those things and I understand. I am looking to get that same basic understanding.

Thanks
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Anybody here use it, understand it, have links to places they have found useful in learning about it. I want to learn more about it.

Need a few good places to start. I have looked and so far everything I found I can't really understand. But hey I was the same way with html, css, and a few other things, but not long after looking at dgrins customization and doing a little, I began to understand the basics and the relationship between those things. Now I can read about those things and I understand. I am looking to get that same basic understanding.

Thanks

I think I found one good resource but still looking for more.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    I use COM interop/OLE scripting through C# for the production of things like SmugGateway and increasingly for the image analysis work that I do.

Photoshop scripting is not a gentle place to start if you're not familiar with another scripting language. I would recomend that you learn Javascript (I never thought I would write that sentence!) first, the syntax will then carry you across to understand the DOM (Document Object Model) that Photoshop uses. The Photoshop scripting guide is relatively gentle in its introductions, but the detailed documents are references for people who already understand OLE scripting.

If you're a programmer in a Windows OLE enabled language (Visual Basic, Delphi (I think), C#, C++) then I'd actually recomend scripting it through Visual Studio, the error reporting is weak, but at least you get Intellisense.

Documentation on Photoshop scripting is slightly distributed. For CS2 you'll actually want the documentation on Adobe Bridge as well.

The first thing you'll want to do is get inside Adobe's head as to the way it thinks about documents, layers, channels etc.

Photoshop scripting guides:
    http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/photoshop/sdk/index_scripting.html

Bridge (Javascript) guide:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/pdfs/bridge_javascript_ref.pdf

Hope this helps, good luck.

Luke
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I think I found one good resource but still looking for more.

Post'em when you find'em thumb.gif I'm still having trouble with open/save commands in batched actions
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    The first thing you'll want to do is get inside Adobe's head as to the way it thinks about documents, layers, channels etc.

Photoshop scripting guides:
    http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/photoshop/sdk/index_scripting.html

Bridge (Javascript) guide:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/pdfs/bridge_javascript_ref.pdf

nod.gif

Once you're comfortable with javascript take a look at the Adobe guides. Might not be the easiest read, but theres a lot of information in there!